Friday, August 31, 2012

Bumbo Recall

If you own a Bumbo seat, you need to contact the company for a latch that can be added to the seat. The new latch is shown in the picture above. The previous Bumbos did not include the latch.

I like the Bumbo. I'm not a die-hard fan. But I'm a sort-of-fan. I don't think anyone should shell out the money for one since your child can only use them for a very short period of time. This period is from the point they can hold up their own head -- until the point that they can wriggle out of them. Or in other words, about 4-8 months. Borrow one from a friend and enjoy allowing your child to sit up and see the world before they can do so unassisted.

The product is nice because it's lightweight. It's easy to carry around. And you can wipe it down easily.

Here's a no-brainer. Don't put up on a high surface. It's intended for use on the ground.

Another no-brainer. Child can fall out of it. Watch the child in it.

But because people lack the brain cells needed to take care of their children, Bumbo has to foot the bill. Here's the recall information for the product.

Parents.com listed the recall on their Facebook page. I admit that I rolled my eyes when I read there was a recall. But I didn't realize how much my feelings would be mirored in the comments I read on the Facebook page. I laughed out loud at some of the comments from parents when they heard about the recall.
  • "ugh - they need a recall on the stupid parents."
  • "I think some people's reproductive systems should be recalled."
  • "They say that Bumbo will send a repair kit. . . . but you can't fix STUPID."
  • "Agreed, we have one too...it is all about common sense. Should we recall changing tables if you leave your baby on top of one unattended?"
And that was just four of the 1,000+ comments about the recall.

When my little ones first started wanting to sit up but couldn't do so unassisted, I'd set them in a sea of pillows so that they could see the world but fall over and not get hurt. I didn't leave them sitting by themself. I was very close to them. When I used the Bumbo I did it the same way. We even put it on a counter sometimes. But we were always right there. Using it to help them see the world. Not allowing them to see the world by themselves.

I'm up in the air about getting the seatbelt attachment. It wouldn't hurt. Obviously. But I'm really not sure I need it or that I would even use it. I put my kids in the Bumbo, on the carpet, and I sit next to them.

I fear that no person will ever be able to invent a product again that isn't eventually slammed down by all these regulations and requirements. Yes, children's safety should be considered. But when you are talking about 4 million Bumbos and you are only talking about 2 dozen injuries -- I think we have to look at the caregivers.

Just my two cents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I never had a problem. I didn't leave my daughter in it unattended.

I am going to get the repair kit. I figure this way if I pass it down, it has the kit. Or, if I decide to sell it at consignment or whatever, they won't refuse it because it was recalled.

I find it really useful- but I got mine second hand and passed it all around. I've got it back now for my son and he'll be like the 4th or 5th kid to use it! My friends and cousins and I just keep passing it back and forth as people have kids in that brief age range that it's useful for!

denise said...

I loved mine and couldn't have done without them. I bought three. Brand new. I never buy stuff brand new or full price like that! When they are at the age they want to sit up and you only have one set of hands, they were my lifesaver! I had blankets laid on the ground and I'd sit on it with my back leaning on the couch. Each baby was laying propped on a bopy while eating a bottle in a semicircle around me. I'd take turns burping, then change the boppy for the bumbo to do their beginning of solids. They were a lifesaver for me!!