Thursday, September 22, 2011

Soul goodness

My friend 'Sarahbee' (her name is actually Sarah but with so many Sarah's here we morphed the first letter of her last name into a new name) helped me with the boys this week two different times. (Veronica did a heavy week last week and is babysitting for someone else this week and doing evenings for us.) Anyways, two different funnies emerged.

The first was Elijah asking Sarahbee for help building blocks. "I can't do it," Elijah said. "But you can do it because you are a big boy!" Not sure Sarahbee is a boy, but she is probably big enough to get the job done.

Today Isaac told me that he wanted to go to Sarahbee's house. I told him that we couldn't go to her house every single day. Isaac disagreed by saying, "Actually, probably, I think we could." True that.

Life hasn't been all funny. Our microwave broke. I know that the books say you aren't supposed to put a bottle back in the fridge when it wasn't finished at a previous feed, but we do. The books also say you shouldn't heat a bottle in the microwave. But I do. With all our babies we haven taught them to accept a cold bottle, but we still have to take the edge off the cold ones for Abigail at this age. It's quite a pain to do it without a microwave!

Veronica and I had a talk about this. I told her I remembered getting my first microwave when I was about eight years old. I still remember it was a gift to our family from my Oom Ed and Tante Jan, and we put it on the top of our refrigerator which always seemed weird to short people that came to visit our house. Veronica couldn't believe this. "How did you make microwave dinners?" she asked. Good question!

Oh and Scrubs has "run away" twice. Not so funny. He is outside with us, off leash, all the time, but sometimes, randomly, he decides to bolt. And by bolt, I mean it. He makes a decision and takes off, sprinting as fast as he can. He did it the other day and ran right in front of a work truck. Thank goodness they were going slow and saw Scrubs. They put on the breaks and we were spared a messy scene. The thing is, I have no idea what he was running to. Normally it's a person he knows or another dog. But this was a tree to pee on. Seriously?

I realized this is probably how God feels with us. Why are we disobeying? Do we not see that speeding car?

Last night he ran away for real. Our gardener accidentally forgot to lock the gate. Veronica was watching the three kiddos for us for just an hour while JB and I attended the free steak and lobster dinner up at the Club. She put Scrubs outside and came back a few minutes later to find him long gone. We walked in and asked Veronica how the night went. "Good," she said. "Scrubs is gone. But good." She said she remembered me telling her that the kids came first. "I stood on the porch, I brought treats, and I called his name, but when he didn't come, there was nothing I could do. I couldn't leave the kids to go find him." Sure couldn't. She also knew that he doesn't run far. Sure enough, JB and I walked outside and here came our neighbor saying, "Scrubby is in our backyard." Oh that doggie!

Funny moments are good for the soul though, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Gabbs said...

I was a microwave-the-bottle person, too. I don't think I had milk to save very often to put back in the fridge, but I know I have done that as well.