Friday, September 23, 2011

Don't want somebody new

Our neighbor Ms. Barbara moved back to the USA last week. Seventy-eight years old, she just retired from the DOD (Department of Defense) School System, and after having lost her husband last year, decided it was time to get back close to her sons.

I will really miss Ms. Barbara. I'll miss our talks in the grass between our houses. I'll miss going out for dinner to her favorite fancy restaurants. I wish she hadn't left.

My neighbor Emily on the other side will be leaving in December. They are heading to Japan. I knew she was leaving but didn't realize the date was so close. "I don't want you to go," I told her.

"Don't worry," she said. "Someone new will move in. There's always somebody new."

I walked away and realized, that that is just the problem. People are always leaving. New people are always coming. I don't want people to leave. I don't want new people to come. I want it to stay the same. I'm just so tired of good byes. I'm even tired of hello. I just want to live in the same house next to the same people for the rest of my life. I read somewhere that over 60% of this Base turns over every summer. I don't want that to happen. I don't want to think about the fact that in less than a year I will have to say good bye to so many people.

It's the nature of the military, and in fact, I suppose, it's the nature of life. But I'm just grieving it a bit. It'll pass. It always does.

But right now, I don't want somebody new.

4 comments:

Cha Cha B said...

((hugs)) Wendi.
This post is perfect timing for me. I was on the opposite end missing my friends I made from there.
We are not to forget our old friends, but I know, you will make good friends with the "new" people to move in around you. You're so fun to be with and you care about others. Keep that up, my friend. This military life won't last forever and think of all the lives you can touch and make a difference in. I know you made a difference in mine. I was blessed to have had you in my life. I will always treasure that fact.

Cha Cha B said...

Oh, and who wants Ms. Barbara to leave them? I grieved the loss of her, too. She was an example of how to care for others generously.

TAV said...

I identify with this sooo much. I, too, am looking forward just "being in the same place" with treasured friends and family... and not having to say goodbye/start over every few years. Who knows when that will be, but I am so thankful for all the wonderful people I have met in the journey so far (esp you)

Marlise said...

Wendy
A very wise friend of mine just talked about this last night. What we do as military wives is not normal and that we DO go through hard times. What you did writing it out and sharing it is a GREAT thing. We don't always have to have it together. I am very guilty of this too. It is a process and it has steps. Being at a smaller base makes it that much more noticeable. Now that I am on the civilization side after most of my childhood (army brat) and then my adult (this far) it is hard too. Praying that God brings you comfort andgreat new neighbors. Don't build the wall around you as I did. People come into our lives for a reason and sometimes just for a season. Remember Air Force family is small. My friend from above was in AK with us. We nowlive 3 hours apart and our paths have crossed,in different bases, many time since AK.