Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Couple a Smiles

I'm really trying to write down all the funny stuff the boys say lately. They are just cracking me up so frequently with their errors and statements and new way of putting words together.

Although, funny has recently been replaced by fighting. We are fighting quite a bit in our house lately. Arguments are fairly frequent, and I find myself a bit out of my league in handling them. For instance, how do you handle this:

Elijah: (Hears loud noise outside.) "Vat's Funder!"

Isaac: "No buddy. That's rain." (He calls his brother buddy constantly as that is what Daddy calls them.)

Elijah: "It's Funder!"

Isaac: "RAIN!"

And then suddenly there is pushing and shoving and gnashing of teeth. It doesn't matter that I jump in and tell them that the big noise is actually the thunder and the tapping afterwards is rain. They don't seem to care amidst great screams of frustration. Hair pulling. Racing around faster than their pregnant mom can catch them.

Of course, it isn't all fighting. Some things are just funniness.

Yesterday I took Elijah potty. He couldn't manage to get the pee-pee started. I told him we could try again later, and he suddenly exclaimed, "No. Wait. There it is! I found it!" And sure enough, he started peeing.

And then there is the conversation in regards to our Turkish language learning. I know that I won't be fluent before we leave here (probably next summer). I know the boys won't be either as they won't be in school here and even if they were, we aren't allowed to put them in Turkish school. But I'm trying to teach them what I can.

We've been really working on learning our colors in Turkish. Isaac has almost all the basic colors down. Elijah can say the words but usually has to be reminded (which isn't bad since he has just recently perfected his colors in English.)

Isaac: "Mommy this car is red. In Turkish that is kırmızı. That's right."

Elijah: "Ha-way I-Z (Hurrah Isaac)!"

Isaac: (Picks up another car.) "This car is grey. What is that in Turkish Mommy?"

Mommy: "Ummmm ..." (Racking her brain.)

Isaac: "Mommy? How do you say grey in Turkish?" (Mommy continues thinking. Isaac continues repeating.)

Mommy: (Finally admitting defeat.) "Isaac, I don't know what grey is in Turkish."

Isaac: "Why don't you know?"

Mommy: (Has no answer for this.) Later, she feels very dumb when she remembers that gray is actually gri (gree) in Turkish. Pretty lame for forgetting THAT.

Then, this morning, Isaac asked his Daddy to hand him the beyaz (white) car. JB speaks less Turkish than the boys so he just sat there trying to figure out what Isaac wanted. Finally Isaac looked at him and just short of rolling his eyes, said, "Beyaz Daddy. That's white."

No comments: