Monday, May 02, 2011

A conversation with Isaac

Isaac: "Mommy, I want you to stay inside."

Me: "Okay. I was just outside throwing the garbage away."

Isaac: "Why were you throwing the garbage away?"

Me: "Because it was dirty."

Isaac: "Why was it dirty?"

Me: "Because it was old. I put it in the garbage can for the garbage man to pick up."

Isaac: "Why are the men going to pick up the garbage?"

Me: "I don't know."

Isaac: "It's okay Mommy."

Me: (I hand him a cookie. Something to change the direction that we are currently going in.) "Here's a cookie for you."

Isaac: "Thanks Mommy."

Me: "Just one cookie."

Isaac: "Okay. I'm going to eat that cookie. And then there will be another cookie for me."

Me: (Changing subject) "All the neighborhood kids are playing outside."

Isaac: "Ewijah is still sleeping."

Me: "I know. But do you want to go play outside with all the other kids?"

Isaac: "I think ... probably ... I think ... probably not."

Me: "Okay. We can play inside with your cars for now. And later, we'll need to go pick Daddy up from work."

Isaac: "Why are we going to pick up Daddy from work?"

Me: "Because he needs a ride."

Isaac: "Why does he need a ride?"

Me: "Because we drove the van today because Mommy hurt her foot."

Isaac: "Oh. Okay. Daddy is making people better at work? Is he seeing a patient?"

Me: "He probably is."

Isaac: "Why is he seeing a patient?"

Me: "To help them get better."

Isaac: "Oh. And we are going to pick him up from work?"

Me: "Yes."

Isaac: "Why?"

Me: "Because we love him."

Isaac: "Why do we love him?"

Me: "Because he is our Daddy."

Isaac: "Do you love me?"

Me: "Of course!"

Isaac: "Why do you love me?"

Me: "Because you are my little boy."

Isaac: "Why am I your little boy?"

Me: "Because God picked you out just for us."

Isaac: "Why did God do that?"

Me: "Because he loved you. He picked a Mommy and Daddy out just for you and we adopted you."

Isaac: "Why did you adopt me?"

Me: "Because we love you."

Isaac: "I love you Mommy."

4 comments:

Faith said...

Out of the mouths of babes:)....I bet you needed an excedrin after that exchange, lol!

AW said...

LOVE how this ends! (Although the exhausting circular stuff is all too familiar around here too!) LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wendi,
I wanted to write you on your email but I can't find your address.
Mother's Day is coming. So glad I won't be at ALCC where they ask all the moms to stand, making everyone else who is not a mom all too obvious and feeling horrified, like I did.
Think of us who are still trying this Mother's Day. Thanking God that one day I will be able to celebrate it as a 'qualifier.'
LT

Anonymous said...

AWWWWW...too cute!

"I think ... probably ... I think ... probably not."

I hear this often from my almost 3y.o.

Jenny in FL