Thursday, August 12, 2010

A few funnies

Before we had kids, we had some good friends who worked on teaching their kids that things do not belong to them. That in fact, everything is God's and that HE is letting US borrow it. We thought this was a cool idea and have been using it with our boys. We discourage the use of "mine" and instead strive to get them to see that it is a gift to us in the first place.

You can see that this concept still has some kinks based on the conversation I had with Isaac yesterday:

Isaac (to Elijah): "Give that back! That's my backpack!"
Mommy (to Isaac): "It's not your backpack. It's God's backpack. He is letting you borrow it."
Isaac (to Mommy): "But it's mine."
Mommy (to Isaac): "No Isaac. It's not your's. Whose backpack is it?"
Isaac (to Mommy) after a pause: "God said it is mine."

In addition, Elijah discovered yesterday in the bathtub that soap tastes terrible. He was chasing around a bar of our soap for the longest time. When he finally caught it, he was too fast, and I was unable to stop him from putting it right smack into his mouth and trying to take a big bite. That was followed by the worst faces you could possibly imagine. Poor little guy! I guess experience can be the best teacher.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Haha!

The other day Ava told me, in response to my mentioning that I still had not found a bottle of nailpolish I suspect the kids stole...

"Maybe GOD took that nailpolish Mama!"

Anonymous said...

That is one smart kid! :)
Linda