Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Advice anyone?

All right folks. Bring it on.

In our last house, I felt like I had a "safe spot" for the boys. I could shut the gate to our kitchen, shut all the doors in the hallway, and know that they, basically, couldn't get into anything.

I could sometimes even take a shower (if I had timed it badly and couldn't do it while they were sleeping or JB was home). I could get ready to go somewhere. I could do my hair and put on my make-up. I could look like I cared about my appearance.

I do not feel that way here. At all.

We are going to put a gate up at the top of our stairs. I think that will help. (We have a lot of things that we are "going to put up" but we haven't gotten to it yet.) But the bottom line is, when I need to get ready to go somewhere, I just don't know what to do with the boys. It just seems like there is so much that they can get into.

My only option has been to turn on a video. But we try to avoid "excess TV." And yet, I am finding that a video is my only way to keep them occupied so that I can have fifteen minutes, or ten, or even five, to get ready to go somewhere.

I feel like I look like I threw myself together. Last night we went to church. JB had sports physicals so he wasn't there. And it was just me. In order to get ready I have to bring both boys up the stairs. I have to put a video on. And even then, they may not sit and watch it straight. They are running down the hall. Jumping on Scrubs. "Helping" me do the laundry Hatice folded by dumping it out. Isaac brought me his nightlight which means he pulled it out of a 220V socket. Then he shut a door (and we have HEAVY SOLID DOORS) and Elijah's toe was underneath the door and he got quite a nasty bruise on his toe. He was screaming. I tried letting them up on my bed to play but it is really high, and Elijah almost fell off. I have set up their room with toys but they wander out of there to other things. I can't shut them in the room because all the doors have drop handles. And they'd scream. And screaming doesn't really make me feel rosey.

Sigh ...

Any advice?

A quick note. I don't want to use pack-n-plays or cribs to "hold them in." We have decided that these are places for sleeping, and if we use them to "contain" they are goign to see bed as a bad place.

So what am I missing? Help!

7 comments:

Gabbs said...

Maybe get a gate for the door of the room they play/watch tv in?? Then you can keep them in the room and have the door open. Or you can expand the area a little and put one in the middle of the hallway by certain rooms that are safer??

Anonymous said...

I like Gabbi's idea...maybe block them into your room? I still vote for pack n play for short periods but I guess I'm old school. You could use it like you use Scrubby's kennel. Give them a special treat and toy that is only for those times they need to be confined.

Mrs. H said...

What about getting dressed at snack time when they are in their high chairs. I guess if your room is upstairs you may not want to be to far out of sight while they are eating, but if it is a quick change of clothes they should be ok. Can they see the tv from the high chairs? Maybe you could put on an educational video too that would hold their attention. I don't know....hope this helps!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Gabbs, I like your idea. I could put up a gate up that allows them to move from TV room and their bedroom but not down the hall. That might work.

Unfortunately, I don't want to be that far away from them when they eat. My husband is a doc and they worry about choking A LOT. And also, they could tip in their chairs or get into some other mischief while I am gone.

Jennifer said...

If you are getting ready in the bathroom will they play in the bathtub, or do they try to climb out? I try to get ready in there so then they can have some time to just play in the water while I am getting ready. Just an idea.

Melissia said...

Have you thought about a large baby corral? Would that work? You might find it handy to have considering the configuration of your floor plan and the possibility of visitors.
They are much bigger than pack and plays and can be added on to.

Sweetlove said...

How big are your closets in your rooms? If they are walk-in and you have two in your room...turn one of them in to a small playroom with a gate ( maybe remove the actual door)in your room. Then, they have a safe area for play, you can get ready, and no TV required.