Thursday, August 12, 2010

A parents' dream come true




Yesterday when Halil turned the sprinkler on to water both our yard and our neighbors, the boys went outside and played in the water each time it came over into our yard. JB and I took a five minute walk with the boys in their jogger to the work-out center where the boys played in a room with windows while we did some cardio and weights. I took a walk after naps to the library, stroller yet again, where we picked out some books on tractors and farms and cars. We stopped at the post office. We stopped at the BX for our first-ever ring-pops (a secondary decision when there were no promised lollipops anywhere in the store.) People gave us the right of way at all times. They smiled at us. I saw a few people I knew. I re-met Darcy who runs the childcare at our 6pm service. She gave me a bunch of information on MOPs and the Wednesday night Bible Study.

JB was gone in the evening. Last week he went to one of the Turkish hospitals to meet the staff and have dinner with them. Tonight he went to the other Adana hospital to do the same. I felt safe. I feel comfortable. I like it here.

I truly feel that I am living a parents' dream. How often do we get the opportunity to live in a place that we can walk everywhere? A place that we feel our kids our safe outside? A place where we feel safe inside?

It isn't perfect. Today, at lunch, they served me a fish with the head still on. I had difficulty eating it. And when we went out to the market with Kristy, the sidewalks have steps all over it making it not the most stroller friendly. But we are happy here. We are glad to be here. And I am excited about raising my boys in this environment.
I have been told that this is pretty typical of people here and that I am probably in the honeymoon stage. I pray that I can stay in this exact stage, grateful for where I am and the experiences we will have.

7 comments:

grama di said...

Aw Wen! It sounds fabulous! I am so looking forward to experiencing it with you! It was great talking to you and the boys this a.m. Love you!

Jenny said...

I am so glad for you Wendi! Also, so happy to hear you have a MOPS there. I am the Coordinator of one of the Stuttgart groups and would love to have you as a speaker sometime in the next two years. Is that something you would possibly be interested in? You guys could stay at the Wilson Haus and see a bit of Germany. :) Obviously, you are occupied "setting up house"right now, but think it over.

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

I am happy for you Wendi. What a blessing to be able to walk everywhere, be around people that are friendly, and you feel safe. Your house looks nice and I know the boys are enjoying the yard.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Jenny, I sent you a message on FB. Yes, I would be happy/honored to come and speak. Would love to get to see you while we are here. You also have an open invite to catch the rotator here anytime!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, ring pop suckers. Any other sucker will never have the same appeal as the Ring Pop (or pop ring as the boys like to call them). Those were huge motivators when potty training. I told the boys that if they could use the potty all day and stay dry and no accidents (#1 and #2) then they would get a pop ring sucker at the end of the day. Peter made it, but just seconds before I was going to pull out the suckers Mitchell pooped in his pants. He was so sad as he sat and watched his brother licking this huge, amazing pop ring sucker. I felt bad for the kid because he had almost made it. I caved a tad bit and gave him a dum dum. He ate it but it wasn't the same. But it had the effect I wanted it to have. Mitchell never had an accident after that - not even at night. He got his ring pop the next day.

Bethany

Anonymous said...

You'll know when you've REALLY adjusted as a family when fish looks funny w/out the head and when your kids fight over who gets to eat the eyes of the fish -which are treasured! Cara loved 'em! Tante Jan
PS too bad we don't get a clue and set up our neighborhoods in the states like that -i'd LOVE to walk to the grocery store!

Jess said...

Can't ever argue with safe, though! That's ALWAYS going to be a good thing!