Monday, March 13, 2006

Snowstorm

So Saturday it was 64. Today, most of the schools are closed. Last night we actually had rain and lightning (for my south Floridian readers, you don't usually get lightning in the winter) which transformed into snow overnight.

It is currently quarter to eight on Monday morning and that snow is still coming down. They are predicting another five inches today. I told you a few posts ago that I was not naive or stupid this March -- I knew winter wasn't over no matter how badly I wanted it to be over walking around downtown Decorah on Saturday.


They have actually closed the RLS Foundation office today. You can't even see outside due to the blowing wind. There are warnings all over the news and they are telling people not to drive at all. I am planning to go in from 10-12 to Mayo and will probably just work from home the rest of the day because even a walk to RLSF could be dangerous today.

Also, I really appreciate all the great advice I have gotten about my freelance writing. I wanted to explain a few things. One thing is that I do have a agreement with this company that will hold up. That's why I know they do HAVE to pay me. The issue is that if they go bankrupt, I can't do anything about it. In addition, almost all freelance writing is done work-for-hire. Sometimes you could get a percentage up front but that is generally impossible. You do the work, you get paid. MY mistake was doing too much work before I got paid. For instance, with this woman who I am working with on her thesis, she is paying me every 10 pages. People will not pay first, because, if you think about it, they have more to lose than I do. They will actually lose money. I will only lose time. For big projects you can request a percentage but freelance writing is all work-for-hire. So, I thought I would explain some of that.

Anyways, back to work.

No comments: