Thursday, March 09, 2006

Can you say COATLESS?!?!

Today, I walked to work outside without my coat on.

Now mind you, this was at 1:00 in the afternoon. When I walked outside for just a few minutes at 8:30 a.m. with a coat it was too cold. And on my way back home at 5:00 I nearly froze, but for a few minutes, at 1:00 today, I walked outside WITHOUT a coat!

It was 47. I hesitate to say that because my family in Florida is reading thinking "WARM?!" But let me tell you. 47 in the spring is warm!

I passed a boy in a t-shirt, a woman with her sleeves rolled up, and a man jogging. I actually passed a lot of people and for once we weren't calling each other "morons" under our breath for attempting an outside walk.

None of these events occurred in the underground subway. They occurred outside. In Minnesota. In March.

Spring Fever is here in full force. Unfortunately, this is the third time I have reached a March in Minnesota, and this time, I am not stupid. The first March, I was stupid. The second March I was naive. Now, in my third March, I refuse to let myself fall for it again. It will get cold again. Spring in Minnesota really doesn't arrive until May or June.

Actually I looked it up. The only month in Minnesota without a recorded snowfall was July. In addition, last winter we had a snow the first week in May that was recorded in the history books for the most snow ever received in Rochester during a 24-hour-period. Yes, I said May.

However, I am going to enjoy it for all it is worth today. We are leaving for Bible Study at 6:00 and I am tempted to try the coatless thing again.

It's the principle of the matter.

No comments: