Friday, March 24, 2006

Babies and Bankruptcy

UPDATE: We just got the call and Josh and Sarah have had ... another son! Jordan Kyle was born this afternoon weighing in just under 8 pounds. Josh said Sarah's water broke around luchtime and she had the baby by 3:30 which is very good (in my unknowledgable opinion.) My grandmother now has 6 kids (1 girl), 16 grandkids (3 girls), and now 9 great-granchildren (2 girls). Notice a pattern here? Congrats Josh and Sarah. We'll see Slappy/Kyle soon.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Well It is 2:30 on Friday afternoon. I am working on RLS stuff from home and waiting, not so un-anxiously, for Josh to call and tell me they had a boy. Or maybe a girl? And what's the baby's name anyways? I talked to Josh last night and asked him for a clue to their names. He didn't budge. Too many surprises for me to handle. We are pretty positive we going to drive to Chicago next weekend to see Slappy (or "Slappy-ette") and spend some time with my grama. I was corrected that my Aunt Helen was 94 when she passed away next week.

In other news, the real estate company I worked for, UCIT, did go bankrupt! I just had a feeling something wasn't good. Maybe it was the unreturned phone calls, unreturned emails, and unavailable webpage that clued me in. All said and done I lost about $560. My husband is seriously, the most fantastic man in the world. He has made me feel so much better about this situation. He keeps repeating, "It's just money." "We are living fine right now without it." "You can't miss what you don't have." etc. His outlook is so fantastic. God knew what he was doing when he gave me John.

I got in touch with some of the other writers from UCIT this week. Many of them had evened the score before UCIT went under but a few are in the same boat as me. One of them sent me a link to the Rochester Post Bulletin online where one of the blog writers had commented on UCIT's disappearance. You will notice that I commented as well.

However, I finally got in touch with Cassandra Wynia from UCIT. She was an employee there and my contact. We got along very well. Turns out she lost nearly $2000 as well when the paychecks stopped coming in. Cassandra and two other people have restarted the business in Mankato (about 90 minutes from here) and she is interested in me writing for them if they ever get to that point. I told her I would love to because I loved the work but would have to be paid by the week. She laughed and agreed. Cassandra's email also made me feel better that there was little I could do make the situation better.

She wrote:

Hello! Don't beat yourself up with thinking you could stay on top of things. Things at UCit hasn't been smooth since November...even with numerous calls or emails and me hassling the accountant, you probably would've had the same delay in getting paid - because trust me, I've hassled them for my pay as well. I makes me sick too!! Again, it sucks, I know...im there right with you. There are a lot of upset customers as well as employees...take care Wendi - keep in touch!

So that's that. Currently waiting for a new Huisman baby and grieving my first encounter with bankruptcy. This is JB's third encounter. Maybe that's why he is so calm.

No comments: