Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Little Logan


When I came to Western Kentucky in the fall of 1995, Kristi Hartley and I were as different as two people can get. The newspaper reporters had a field day comparing our completely opposite lives: I was a big city kid who dressed funny and was extremely naive. Kristi was a cowgirl from a guest ranch in New Mexico who turned every head on campus.

I found out months after we moved in and had become life-long friends that Kristi had actually phoned the coaches when she heard they were rooming us together. She had met me on our recruiting visit and didn't see how anyone could see us as compatible. Mary Taylor Cowles assured Kristi that they thought this was best and promised that if she wasn't convinced in a few weeks, they would allow a change.

Kristi and I ended up getting a long perfectly. I can only remember one or two arguments we had (one of which resulted in Kristi's dad telling her to apologize immediately.) We had a great working partnership. Kristi taught me how to dress and loosened me up. I helped her write papers and get through speech class.

Kristi met Lee Hunt when we were sophomores and was instantly smitten. A year after I got married, they got married. Then two years ago, Kristi and Lee had their first daughter -- Logan Rae Hunt. Then ... Kristi has asked me to be Logan's godmother.

Yesterday, Kristi sent me this picture of my goddaughter. I almost started laughing outloud and seriously got a grin from ear-to-ear. This picture is sooooo Kristi's daugther (no offense Lee.) Mischevious yet heart-melting look, cowboy boots, and a commanding presence that tells the world "Come and get me!" I wasn't sure if I was looking at Logan or her mom, chilling out on the couch in the locker room, telling me to "Suck it up" when I told her I was having pains in my shin. Weeks later, she finally apologized and got lectured from our trainer when they diagnosed me with a stress fracture.

So today, I share Kristi-Junior with the world. You go girl!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O my goodness!! She looks like such a fun little kid!!!