Friday, May 04, 2012

Bad luck & Bad Remembering

I feel like luck, (which I don't believe actually exists), has not been in my favor this week.

Firstly, I take the time to go and borrow a huge water toy from my friend Tina. We've been borrowing a lot of toys with our stuff gone. And this is a cool waterway that boats can float down. All I need to do is carry it to my house (it's light) and fill it with water from the hose out on the back porch.

Easy enough.

Only I get home, the boys have their boats, they are ready to go, and I turn on the hose. Nothing happens. I go inside. The water is off! Seriously?! What are the chances of that? I managed to collect enough from our water dispenser (and from dishes soaking in the sink if I am honest) to make them somewhat satisfied until the water came back on a few hours later.

Second bad point of luck. The rain. Two different times this week I went out to the grocery store in good weather and while I was inside, the rains started. (If you remember, our van is somewhere inbetween here and Portugal right now.) The first time, it wasn't raining that hard. Hatice was home with the kids. I just had my wagon to pull. So I started pulling it. It started raining harder and harder.

I was finally forced to pull under an anonymous person's overhang and knock on their door. They gave me a towel to cover my stuff, but they too were without a car, as many people are on this Base. Families only have one car and half the time your car is en route to or from Turkey anyways. So it's the only way she could help me. By the time I got home I was drenched and had given up trying to keep my glasses clean a long time ago.

Then today, it happened again. This time I had Abigail with. The boys were playing at their friend Caleb's house. I pushed Abigail in the stroller and pulled a wagon behind me to get groceries. When I went in, all was well with the world. When I came out, it was pouring. I had many friends shopping with me, but my friend Debbie happened to be leaving when I did. She offered to drive me home, but she had a rental (which is really small._ So I had to leave my stroller and borrowed-from-Bri wagon at the grocery store. Who knows when I'll get back for those.

All right. Another thing. Movies. We don't see movies here very often. The ones in the Turkish cinemas are often dubbed and the ones on Base are few and far between. But Hunger Games was coming to the Base this weekend! We even got it organized for a bunch of guys to go one day and a bunch of the gals to go another so no babysitters were needed. I saw Hunger Games  on a special date night a few weeks ago, but now I was going again having read the book. (Awesome books by the way but not without controversy!) No big surprise for our Base when John, the movie theatre guy, posted on the website that the movies had not come in from Germany as promised. Bummer!

In addition to my bad luck that wasn't my fault, I've had some that things happen lately that basically are my fault. I have missed a bunch of different appointments recently. Just flat out forgot about them. Before kids I never did this. Now, despite a calendar displayed in a prominent place that I consult with frequently, I have been messing up. Last week I accidentally scheduled Abigail's 9 month appointment at the same time as my MOPs meeting. So I had to cancel it the morning of. This week, I had the appointment scheduled today, knew I had it scheduled, and totally forgot to go! I even had someone watching the boys and I forgot.

And that's not the only thing I forgot. I was scheduled to bring snacks to our MOPs children's workers last week. Did they get a snack? No. Did I forget? I did. Did I even remember I forgot? Nope. Not until yesterday's steering team meeting when someone brought up that they didn't have a snack. My face went quite pale I assume. No, they didn't have a snack because I forgot!

I have no idea what is up with me doing this? I'm majorly letting myself down in the dependable department.

On and poor Scrubs. He has paid the price for my forgetfulness. He woke JB up the other night. He never does this. But it wasn't just to go to the bathroom. It was because he was thirsty. I had forgotten to fill his waterbowl all day. I mean the dog doesn't ask for much!

C'mon Wendi!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is just the stress of the move Wendi. I do this also when stressed

TAV said...

I felt awful when I DNKA'd (did not keep appointment) my dentist appt in residency... some things just slip our minds!