Sunday, November 20, 2011

It appears ...

... we may have to celebrate Thanksgiving without our traditional croissant rolls by Pillsbury.

Am I the only one who has these every single year?! It's like having Thanksgiving without stuffing. Without Turkey.

I suppose there is still a chance that something may change, but right now, the Commissary is out. And it's not like I can pick another place to get those. If the product isn't Turkish, I am not going to find it at any shopping establishment off Base that's for sure.

They Commissary has been out of these for about two weeks now. And not just of that product. Milk has been very low. The kind of yogurt we like has been missing for weeks, and now the only other brand they sell is nearly out. Orange juice was down to the last few containers.

They've got the signs up. Telling us about transportation issues between here and Germany. It seems these signs are up more than they are done. I was so glad when I saw Stebb's blog last week and was assured that I am not the only who feels the need to vent just a little bit.

I know we live in Turkey. I know it's in the middle of nowhere. But when you only have ONE grocery store that has American products, it's difficult when those American products aren't there. Holidays are a bit "touch-and-go" on Base. People buy canned pumpkin months ahead of time in fear the Base will run out when it comes time for Thanksgiving pies.

I was talking today to JB about the fact that I haven't been back to the U.S. in almost a year and a half. And it doesn't appear I will be getting back anytime soon. I wonder what culture shock will await me in reverse when back to America I go.

I have a feeling that the ability to shop at different stores might just send me reeling.

I love living here. I love the culture and opportunity for travel. But lately, I've just been a little homesick. A little weary. A little bit wanting the comforts I lived with for the first 33 years of my life.

Truthfully? We all know Thanksgiving is not about the croissants. It's about our country. And thanks. Of which I have more than I can count.

But boy oh boy would I love to have croissants to add to my list of blessings!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I know exactly how you feel. Do you want me to MPS some over to ya?! I can't understand what the problem is getting stuff to you. This year, for the first time, they have tons of the thanksgiving "comfort" foods.

It will definitely be culture shock for you when you move back (or visit). Just the vast array of choices is overwhelming. I nearly had a anxiety attack in JoAnn's when faced with the 10 isles of scrapbook paper!

Joy Z said...

http://www.food.com/recipe/to-die-for-crescent-rolls-35267

Tell JB to get cracking!

Buttercup said...

I wish I could send them to you!

Carrie said...

I was just going to ask if you'd tried searching for a copy cat recipe online but I see Joy sent you a link! I was wondering the other day if I could make them from scratch as I currently have an obsession with crescent dogs and they are a bit pricey. I'll have to try that recipe out, too!