Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What is that, Mommy?

Isaac has become obsessed with a sign sprinkled all over our Base here. I thought of putting a picture of it on the blog. But we are reminded often that we are not allowed to take pictures of any Turkish buildings or equipment or personnel so I decided not to do so.

This sign is on any electrical building. It has a skull, and, in Turkish, warns people to stay away. Every time we pass one, Isaac says something about it. In fact, now, he seems to know where they are, and even if he doesn't see it, he says it when we pass where he knows one of those signs is.

The dialogue that ensues is some combination of the phrases below:

"What is that sign Mommy? What is that man on the sign? Is that where I can get a big boo boo? I can get shocked there, right Mommy? That man is on there. He tells me to stay away. I can get hurt there."

I have tried to explain the sign to him in a way that tells him to stay away but does not scare him. And yet, he continues to be obsessed with the sign. The other day, he said something about it while riding in the car with both JB and myself. I told JB that he had been infatuated with the sign and asked JB how I should handle it.

The next day Isaac said to me, "You asked Daddy how you should tell me about the sign Mommy. He told you to tell me that it causes owies. Didn't he, Mommy?"

How did kids get so smart?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had the same conversation about the same sign (I think) on Monday morning. Such a smartie!!

Sarah

Gabbs said...

Is the sign like this:

http://www.ponytone.com/2007/12/they-are-all-over-city-signs-warning.html