Friday, November 11, 2011

GERMANY: Beer Abounds

Friday, October 28 (Part II)
Early on Friday morning, we left our B&B and made the 2+ hour drive back into the German countryside. We were headed to Garmisch. Edelweiss Lodge and Resort more specifically. I think their website says it best:

Forged in rustic woods, stones and other natural elements to complement its environment, the rugged character of Edelweiss Lodge and Resort is in perfect harmony with the comforts provided by its ample conveniences and amenities. Long revered as one of the most desirable destinations in the Bavarian Alps and Germany's premier winter and summer sports center, the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area is an idyllic location nestled at the foot of sweeping Alpine vistas and home to the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort.

The resort itself is actually on a military base and designed for the military community. JB actually likes staying out in the culture a bit more than I do. He wasn't too excited about being surrounded by military life on his vacation. But I was excited by the tiny bit of America within the walls of the resort. American food. English speakers. Signs in English. An indoor pool. Ice. Lots of ice. Free water. Toilets you don't have to pay for. That type of thing.

By the time we got in on Friday, there was no time for naps. JB and his Dad were headed out to take a tour of a beer place -- I don't know -- some place that makes and brews its own beer. Mom and I took the boys to a buffet downstairs and then we put all three kiddos to bed, and I did some laundry! In order to lighten our travel load, I had only brought 7 days worth of clothes for everyone so I was counting on that night of laundry.

A complete side note. Before kids, I always promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those people who brought the whole house when they went on vacation. But mannnn it is harder than you think to keep the clutter at a minimum. There are so many things you just have to bring. Especially when you are travelling in a country that you may not be able to just stop and get that thing you want. Take Abigail for instance. She needs enough formula for two weeks. She needs enough diapers for two weeks. Burp cloths. Bibs. Blankets. Many changes of clothes for each day. And that's just her. Add the two boys: clothes, some toys, things they sleep with. Oh and then add in the fact that it is cold here and we need big coats for everyone, and it is a stinkin' lot of stuff. I was very proud of us for getting our stuff into 4 suitcases. That was pretty impressive to me.

Okay, sorry. Back on track. Beer. I want to say, before I show the pictures, that my husband has never been drunk. I never even knew him to take a drink until he was well into his twenties. But beer has since become sort of a hobby for him. He brews his own beer at home. He loves trying different beer. I don't get the fascination since I don't like alcohol at all, but JB sure does love the whole process. Here are some pictures of JB and his Dad and their beer advenutres.
Those are the hops you put in the beer growing on the ceiling. 

 Dad with the machinery.

 Everyone actually took a test and got a diploma!

What would a beer tour be without free samples? 

John with his diploma 

 I'm not sure what the fascination is about brewing your own beer, but JB does it at home as well. He just loves the whole process.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm sorry...is that whipped cream...on beer????

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Amanda ... yes ... and apparently it is really good. I'll ask JB to tell more!

Jenny said...

We have also been to Eidelweiss (a few times). Such a beautiful location! When we first moved to Germany we stayed in the resort (for a taste of America), but we now prefer staying on the economy. There is an awesome hotel that you can only get to by cable car, not too far from the resort.