Sunday, August 01, 2010

Summary of Kingsbury, Sparks, and Rivers

It's 3am Turkish time, and I can't sleep. I have had a few people ask me to "recap" my book recommendations. You can read all my past recommendations (or lack thereof) by clicking here.

KAREN KINGSBURY (Christian fiction)

Karen Kingsbury's Redemption Series, Firstborn Series, and Sunrise Series kept me reading book after book. They were wonderful. Her other pieces have been a bit more touch and go. She often deals with the same basic tragedies and as thus, some of the story lines can get a bit repetitive.

Series

  • Redemption Series (Baxters 1) STRONGLY RECOMMENDED -- Read these series in order: Redemption, Firstborn, and then Sunrise
  • Firstborn Series (Baxters 2) STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
  • Sunrise Series (Baxters 3) STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
  • Above the Line I am midway through book #1 and not in love with it.
  • Forever Faithful Series Liked #1 and #2 (a bit dramatic but good); haven't read 3
  • 911 Series Really enjoyed book one; didn't read book two; didn't like book three
  • Lost Love Series Read book one and just didn't like it and couldn't finish it

Stand-alone Titles

  • Shades of Blue Enjoyed this one about abortion recovery
  • Oceans Apart Enjoyed this one
  • Divine This is a modern day retelling of the story of Mary Magdeline; A bit hard to stomach but well done

NICHOLAS SPARKS (non-Christian fiction)

My favorite non-Christian writer. I've tried to read a few others, but if I am going to read non-Christian, I really like Sparks. I have only read one of his books that I didn't go goo-goo over. Great, quick love stories that are usually pretty clean.

  • The Last Song Really enjoyed this book
  • Dear John Read this one a long time ago; a good, quick read
  • The Choice Loved this book; great love story
  • True Believer Could not get into this book
  • A Bend in the Road Good, quick read but nothing spectacular
  • Nights in Rodanthe Strongly recommended
  • The Wedding One of my favorite books ever!
  • The Rescue Good, quick read but nothing spectacular
  • The Notebook Loved it!
  • A Walk to Remember Loved it!

Francine Rivers (Christian fiction)

I have only read two of her books. However, she is an amazing writer and I was blown away by the first two I read.

  • Redeeming Love LOVED this book! Read it!
  • Scarlet Thread LOVED this book nearly as much as Redeeming Love. Read it!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

I just recently started reading Nicholas Sparks' books and "The Wedding" was one of the first I read. It was amazing! I also can say that it is one of my absolute favorite books ever.
Thank you so much for the recommendations. I enjoy reading and have been wanting to find different things to read and didn't know where to start. So thanks for that!

denise said...

I grew up reading Robin Jones Gunn (Christian) as a girl with her Christy Miller series. She now had adult books too, and they are AWESOME! I love her! Not sure if it is because she brings me back to my teenage years of nostalgia when I read her books, but you might like her too :)

Mrs. H said...

I just finished the Redemption series...oh my goodness...amazing! I loved them and did not want the books to end! About to start Fame next!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sending you the latest Nicholas Sparks book...I just finished it.
Joni

Jennifer said...

Don't give up on the Karen Kingsbury Above the Line series. The first one was a little slow, but they get better and better!

Rene said...

Loved Above the Line series...book 2 and 3 really pick up

Jessica said...

Love Karen Kingsbury as well! Stick with the Above the Line series. It does get better, I promise. :)

Praying for you guys on your new adventure. I don't get to read your blog as much as I would like-just started homeschooling my 5 y.o. so life has gotten even busier, but I do think of you guys often!! :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

All righty. You all have talked me into it. I'm going to read the ABOVE THE LINE series now and not give up on it! Thanks friends!