Friday, August 13, 2010

Packing news, windows, and locks

Well good news abounds here in Turkey. We got word yesterday that all eight of our crates are now ready to be unloaded! They will arrive on Monday. We have also been told that our UB (the stuff that is supposed to get here first) is also in the country. It should be here within a week or so. We are utterly blown away with how fast our stuff is getting here. As difficult as moving across the world is, it could be so much worse. We could have been in TLF longer. We could have have had our stuff on major delay.

If you think of it, would you say a prayer for my new friend Sarah and her son William? If you remember, we met her husband Ryan on the flight over to Turkey. She and William stayed behind and will be joining Ryan in just a few weeks. Sarah and I were put in touch via Amy (from Amy's Adoption Blog) who knows me from online and knew Sarah from her local MOPs. Anyways, please pray that their stuff gets here pronto as well. They don't have official word (last I heard). And I know that having their stuff here when she gets here will be a breath of fresh air. I read yesterday that moving is considered one of the top three traumatic events in life (with death and divorce). I have to admit that after going through this move, I agree.

Anyways, in other news, has anyone else ever been in a house that does not have windows in the front of the house? This is strange to me. We have no windows to see into our front yard. Windows on one side and along the back. But none in the front. I don't recall ever having been in a house like this.

I also need some sliding door advice. We had some people come over and replace our toilet. It was still under warranty and not working. While here, they touched up a few other things that were not finished properly when the house was made. One drawer did not have wheels. The lock on the gate did not fit well. That sort of thing. They also informed me that they had to put new locks on the sliding glass door. The Housing Office asked them to replace all the locks because a lot of them had broken. So instead of a lock at my level, they were putting one in on the bottom -- at the boys' level! I asked if they could reconsider. They said they could not.

So this annoys me because, firstly, this lock is hard to open and close all the time. Something that I need to do often to let Scrubs out but keep the boys in. And secondly, while Isaac hasn't figured the lock out, he will soon, I am sure. Is there something I could put in up top instead?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendi...My parents recently put these on their sliders, much higher than Jack can reach. http://www.safeslider.com/
I know you have to drill the door and wall, I don't know if you will be able to do that at your house. They work great though! Hope it helps...Jenny Gill

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh thanks Jenny. Unfortunately, no can drill ...

Anonymous said...

Hey Wen,
You can try a piece of wood the length of the slider door. Instead of putting it at the bottom of the door keep it wedge at the top so only you and John can reach it.

Tony B.

Jess said...

How annoying about the lock!! I agree with Tony...a length of wood may work. What a pain!

Glad your stuff is coming so soon, though!! What a BIG BIG blessing!

Jess said...

How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/White-Door-Guardian-Patio-Lock/dp/B000FXW24O

The Mac's House said...

http://www.cyberbabymall.com/9030.html
This one fits onto the glass with a heavy duty adhesive that I'm sure you would be able to get off when it was time to move.

Other than that they have those security bars that sit at the bottom much like a piece of wood that was suggested.

I see they also now have doggie doors that fit into the tracks of sliding glass doors so you can keep just the screen door shut, an option only if you have nice weather and not having to use A/C.

The sliding glass doors we had in military housing were always so heavy to open that I never had a problem with kids wanting to open them, good thing I guess.

Anonymous said...

How about a tension curtin rod at the top (or high enough that the kids can't reach it)?

Anonymous said...

Try thinking of it as exercise! Bend and Stretch and Bend and Stretch...
:D
Linda

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thank you all for the advice. The biggest issue is that I really don't want to put something like a "stick" in because then every single time Scrubs has to go out, it will need to be 'reset' which will get old. Sometimes he goes out 3 times an hour if he is bored.

Linda, I think you may be right. I may have to think of it as exercise "bend and stretch." That may be my best bet.

And then, WHEN Isaac figures it out, I am going to have to come up with my PLan B then.

Here's hoping that isn't for awhile.

Joy Z said...

We use these small locks up at the top of the sliding door. They screw and un-screw. No drilling, adhesives or anything. I find them to be quite convenient except for the fact that they are up high and I have to stretch a wee bit to do it. I think you won't have the same issue though. The other inconvenient thing that can happen is it is loose and not attached to the door. So, you have to have a place that you put them near the door so they don't get lost. I know we buy them at Home Depot or Lowe's but I'm not sure what they are called. I will send you a pic. If you decide you want some and can't find them there, I will send you some.