Friday, August 06, 2010

Trip to M1

JB is still "in processing" at work. This means that he is attempting to get his phone, email, computer access, etc. set up. He has approximately two weeks before he is in the system and ready to see patients. During that time he has to do all kinds of paperwork and running around on Base. He is also given time to help us get our house set up. This is very typical of the military. I, personally, think that it would be better if this was done before he got here (by someone else) so that they could use him right away. But of course, while I think this would be more efficient, I am glad to have him around for two weeks helping us work out the details of our new life here.

We desperately needed 220 voltage outlet covers for the house. There are regular outlets and 220 outlets everywhere. We were having trouble putting the boys' loaner cribs in their room since there are like eight of these outlets in their rooms, and they could grab any of them through the rails. We practically have the beds in the middle of the room to avoid any of the walls.

The BX does not carry 220 outlet covers (it's a very tiny little BX with just the essentials) so we decided to be adventurous and head to the "mall" in Adana. This is, really, just like a mall that you'd see in the U.S. There are all kinds of stores, a food court, and the equivalent of a "Sam's", "WalMart", and "Home Depot." There is also a movie theater. I had no idea we would have the ability to go somewhere like this while we lived here. Aside from the fact that we were the only blond people there, it really felt just like a home mall.

I especially paid attention to what people wore at this mall. The women primarily. I think the general rule is that I'll be more "appropriate" if I do not wear shorts. I think as long as I am in capris, pants, or a skirt, I'll feel appropriately dressed. And that being said, there were people wearing shorts.

We found the outlet covers at "Home Depot." We also spent some time looking at the other stuff, seeing what is there, checking prices, and eating some lunch at the food court.

Here are a few pictures of our stop at the food court after we had done some shopping:


As I had been "warned", people were "obsessed" with our two blond headed boys. Here is one young boy who asked if he could take a picture of our guys. The Turkish culture, in general, embraces children. They are allowed to be children here which is quite nice. Crying, running around, and just generally, doing what little kids do is quite normal and accepted. This little boy, when he left, gave each of the boys a huge hug and kiss on the cheek. Isaac looked at me like: "What is this?" but then got a HUGE grin on his face. Despite being the shyer of our two boys, he is even embracing this new-found attention.

These "Ayran" drinks are, basically, a watered down yogurt. As I promised myself, I tried them. (I am determined to try new things as much as possible.) But try is all I did. Even JB, who can eat or drink anything, had trouble drinking this down. Apparently, these are very popular drinks in Turkey. I think they are an acquired taste that I am not sure I will attempt to acquire.

Here we are eating our lunch. The raisins we brought were from home. However, the rest of lunch was a delicious sort of "make-your-own-fajita" meal. (Unfortunately we are not eating vegetables here yet until our stomachs grow more accustomed to our new diet.) Delicious. They had a Burger King and McDonalds and Sabarro too, but we opted to eat the local food. Other than the drinks, it was fantastic. While we were eating our lunch, an English professor at a Turkish college came up to pinch the cheeks and hug on our boys. He ended up sitting down with us while we ate. Then, his sister and niece, decided that they wanted to babysit while we ate. The sister (who spoke no English) kept telling me to sit back down when I would try and chase down the boys who were running all over the food court. Aunt and niece instead held, played with, and chased the boys. They also gave them quite a few kisses. Elijah and Isaac were initially confused about these strangers, but I could tell that they instantly got an understanding that this is how "new strangers" will be.

Here aer some videos of our adventures recently:

(Isaac helping / through the back window)

(Elijah speaking and signing)

(first time on the road -- part I)

(first time on the road -- part II)

2 comments:

Gabbs said...

Are the drinks kind of mike Kefir?

Gabbs said...

Sorry, I meant LIKE not MIKE, lol