Monday, August 09, 2010

Doing without

Our UB (1,000 pounds) is due in by the 28th. Fingers crossed that it does indeed arrive by that day. While we were able to ship ourselves a few things, and we brought with us a few more things, anything we thought we'd need on the sooner side, is in that shipment. More kitchen stuff. JB's spices. Towels. Blankets. Sheets. That sort of thing.

Until it arrives, we try to make do. Some examples include:

  • You forget the convenience of a microwave oven when you don't have one. I have to actually heat food up in or on the oven? What's with that? You can melt cheese on a sandwich by putting it on the top of your loaner toaster and pretending there is bread int he slits. I was able to heat a pancake the same way.
  • We mailed ourselves two towels weeks before we left. So two is all we have right now. One was in the dirty clothes. JB laughed the other night because he was the fourth person to use our one towel. He said it would have been nearly better to drip dry. I dried off with a shirt the other day. It worked and it tied my hair up splendidly.
  • We have a phone number now but no phone. The BX is sold out of all the cheap phones. Driving to Adana isn't something you just jump in the car and do. I am realizing that the lack of choice, while freeing, can also be limiting.
  • The Commissary closed last night and will be closed for 3 days as they had to do some sort of reorganizing inside of it. Apparently this is not common, but nonetheless, we are grocery-store less for three days. Good thing we have a gas station convenience store on Base!
  • We have one blanket. It was actually a twin comforter that my mom gave us that we threw in the crate for Scrubs for his flight here. It has since been washed, and I am sleeping with it. JB only has a sheet so he is sleeping in warmer clothes to make up for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Putting almost anything in a frying pan and putting a lid on for a minute or so also works great! Works really well for pizza, left over french toast (pancakes), pasta(add a touch of water). Actually I can't think of too much it does not work for...although I am sure there are some things..lol.

Jenny H.

Jenny said...

Since moving overseas I feel I have become such a hoarder. Since we also have few options, if I see something at the PX or Commissary, and think I could possibly need it at a later time, I buy it!!! If you don't get it when you see it chances are it will be gone. I don't know what I'll do when we move back someday, and have so many options again. A bunch of people I know who have PCS'd back this summer have talked about having near anxiety attacks in the grocery store and target. Apparently, it is harder to move back than to leave for many people. Welcome to the world of few options! I have my Moms mail me a lot from the states. Those APO flat rate boxes are pretty inexpensive.