Thursday, May 27, 2010

Isaacisms

Who knew that the ABC’s and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star were written to the same tune? Are John and I the only two who didn’t know this? While trying to entertain the boys on one stretch of our car ride, we were singing every song we knew when suddenly JB said: “Are those two songs written to the same tune?” We weren’t sure until we sung them each simultaneously. Sure enough. They are the same. Please tell me if this is something obvious that we’ve not realized our whole lives?

Anyways, I digress. While in the car singing our ABCs and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star at the same time and remarking how amazing it is that all the time we didn’t know that they were written to the same rune on the way to dinner on Monday evening, we told Isaac he was going to see Briana and Ryan. While Briana pronounces her name Bree-anna and Isaac’s birth mom is Bri-onah, Isaac still thought this meant he was going to see “Bee.” He immediately launched into a “Joni? Bee?” serenade despite my efforts to explain to him that this was not the same Briana/Brianna he was used to.

And that isn’t the only funny thing Isaac has done lately. His vocabulary seems to be growing by the minute, and he continues to bring a smirk to our face or a hearty laugh to our souls on a continual basis. Here are some other cute “Isaacisms” from our Washington trip.
  • Whenever JB drives by the water, Isaac says something to the effect of: “Driving by the water. Daddy be careful. Mommy by careful. Elijah Wuke? Be careful. Isaac be careful too.”
  • I told him weeks ago that we were going to go on an airplane to go to Washington and see Bobbie. Any and every time we get into the car he makes a point to say: “See Bobbie? Go to Bobbie’s house?” I try to explain that we will see her in a few more days, but he doesn’t seem to comprehend that.
  • I suppose Isaac has heard me tell JB or JB tell me “don’t have a cow” at some point on this trip because all of a sudden while driving yesterday he said, “Have a cow.” He loved that this made us laugh and so he said it a multitude of times.
  • “Spoon,” Isaac said while holding up a long shoehorn. “No, I said. That’s a shoe horn.” He paused and said, “Shoehorn spoon.”
  • We will often reach into the backseat to tickle the boys. One time when the tickling stopped, Isaac said: “Do it again right now please.”
  • Isaac’s answer to “Who wants ____ (fill in the blank)” is always “Elijah did.” Who wants their diaper changed? Elijah did. Who wants to be tickled? Elijah did.
  • While driving down the road Isaac shouted “Cucumber!” When we asked him if he saw a cucumber, he paused and said, “No.” We have no idea where that came from.
  • If I turn around in the rental car to check on Isaac while he is eating a snack he will say, “I’m doing good Mommy.” I guess I ask him how he is too often.
  • Isaac has been obsessed with “go buh-bye.” The moment he wakes up in the morning he will ask if we can “go buh-bye?” Whenever he gets slightly bored it is “go buh-bye.” I can clearly remember that Bri did this when she was little a lot as well.
  • Like most kids, when Isaac gets something on his mind, it is hard to get it off. In the car he asked for some “p-delly” (peanut butter & jelly). We were about 10 minutes from our cabin so I told him he had to wait. We then counted as he asked for “p-delly” 31 times in a row, took a short break, and then asked 21 more times. These numbers are NOT exaggerations. They were actual counts.

4 comments:

Heather said...

"Baa Baa Black Sheep" is the same tune, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Heather. I knew there was a 3rd song with the same tune. I think every parent has this epithone.

LOL
Linda

June said...

I didn't realize the ABC-Twinkle-Black Sheep connection until I was a singing parent, either!

Re the goodbyes - our almost-2-yo Meredith will often pick up her diaper bag, sling the strap over her shoulder, turn to us and say "See you! Later!" and drag the bag to the next room.

Joy Z said...

I never knew either! Take heart Wendi and John! :-)