Friday, February 19, 2010

Deployment honesty

My friend Brittney doesn't live here by me anymore. I wish she did. I so wish that Clay and Brittney and their little girls were here by us so we could support them during Clay's deployment.

Brittney and her husband and her two beautiful daughters moved to a new Base last July. They were one year ahead of us in the residency game. This move was expected. It was known.

And then, just this past December, they said good bye to Clay. He is somewhere else. In some undisclosed location. While they live out their lives in a new town, away from the people they had been with for three years. They move you somewhere new and then they deploy. Seems kinda backward to me even though I know it has to be this way.

Brittney wrote a post on deployment the other day, and I really appreciated her honesty. You have to know that Brittney isn't a downer person. She can make the best of any situation. She's independent and resourceful and innovative. She's creative and thoughtful.

But she was honest that deployment is hard. They miss Clay. She is a single parent for seven months. And she has very little support around her due to their move.

Let me switch gears for a moment. Don't worry. This will all connect eventually.

This morning, I took the boys to story time at the Valpariaso library. I had never been before, but I had heard wonderful things about it. And for good reason. We had a wonderful time. We will definitely go back. There was a wonderful elderly woman named Miss Betty who read and played with the kids. She told us not to worry if they only sat there for seven seconds. There were huge animals to wrestle with and a toy house and a train and a plane. The boys loved it.

My friend Sarah was there. She was talking about preparing for our upcoming move. What? Move? Oh. Yes. Move. We are moving just like Brittney did last July.

I told Sarah I hadn't started thinking about it yet. She said she was sorry for causing me to think of it. But actually I should thank her for reminding me that we have four months until we move to a new Base. Four!

Not only are we moving but most of our wifia friends are moving. We are all headed to new Bases, somewhere in the U.S. or across the world.

None of us know, for sure yet, where we are going. Some of us have a good idea. Some of us have no idea. We will find out in the next 30-60 days. We've been told we could know as early as March 1st and as late as mid April.


I have not discussed on my blog where we are hoping to go or where we ranked to go simply because I don't want to naively think that the decision is in our hands. It is in God's hands. He will decide. I also don't think I should count my chickens before they hatch. So we wait.

I will say that we are hoping to be stationed at a Base with a slower deployment rate. There are actually a few Bases that do not deploy their physicians due to where they are located. However, we will not know that for the next 30-60 days.


But, right now, as it stands, not knowing where we are headed, I have to face the fact that my husband could be deployed in as as early as 9 months. He could be deployed the December after we move. I am not sure I am ready for this possibility. I am not sure I know how I would do it if we are sent to a new place to live in July, yanked from all of our support, still not living by any family, and then he leaves us for at least seven months. I don't know what I would do.


When we signed up for the military back in 2003, deployments were rare. Most physicians did one or two in an entire career. They were also four months long. Now they are occurring ever 2-4 years for anywhere from 7-13 months.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that we need our military. And I know we need people to serve our country. And I support my husband if he is the one who has to go.

But that doesn't mean it would be easy.

I realized that we are a small percentage of the population. How many people do not find out where they are moving -- whether they will be going one state away or one world away until three months prior to their departure? How many people, after arriving, have to say good bye to their spouse for seven months? Seven months while you remain in a place that you don't call home and haven't called home. Not really anyways. You have no family there. And often, not many friends.

Brittney you are doing an AMAZING job. This is a very hard thing to do. I say this to all my friends who have spouses serving overseas. What an amazing thing they are doing. What a sacrifice. How difficult on those they leave behind. Let's remember to pray for our servicemen and women during a heavy season of deployments. Let's remember to pray that they come home safely.

And let's remember to pray for me and all my friends as we prepare to move to a new place in just four months.

6 comments:

Rabens Family said...

Thank you for all of the thoughts and prayers during Clay's deployment. A military wife has to find a balance of being independent without her husband, but leaning on her husband when he is home. We are looking forward to his return home in July.

We are praying for all of you as you prepare for your move in 4 months. We found out in March last year, so hopefully you don't have to wait much longer to find out. I am secretly hoping someone comes to our base. ;)

A Family Affair said...

I will keep you in my thoughts. We (my husband and I) have several friends in the navy - one of the friends is my best friend in the whole world. She just married her husband who flies Jets and has been sent all over the country to different bases often not knowing where it will be until a month before. We have had many heart-to-heart conversations about what it is like to be moved away from your support system all the time and have to start over with friendship and relationships.

We have another set of friends with with a 4 year old little girl. Deployments have definitely increased - he has been deployed 2x (he is highly specialized navy seal) and each time the deployment has been extended once he is there and all told, he has spent more time away from his little girl in her life than with her.

One thing I have come to understand through my conversations with my girlfriends is, military wives offer a tremendous amount of support for eachother and all of the women that I know living this realit are extrordinarily strong and resourceful.

I will keep you in my thoughts as your "move" approaches and hope that you get sent to where you want / are meant to be. Good luck!

Iturblog said...

Very well written post Wendi. I'm so thankful that Danny is out of the threat of deployment, yet its difficult to see so many others going through what I went through. I thought that three 4 1/2 months deployments in two years was tough, but what Brittney and others are going through is so much worse. I wish we were closer to them too. But from here, all we can do is keep them in our prayers. We'll also be praying for you all, as well as the other residents.

Brittny said...

I put the idea waaaaaay in the back of my head when we moved here. Now I'm trying my hardest to not think about you guys moving away. I'd only been thinking about the Ramages moving and then I realized, when they leave, everyone leaves and I began to panic! Who am I going to call when I need an egg or a sitter or someone with kids to help my kids release their energy or a friendly face who knows exactly what my day-to-day life is like. So, now the panic is setting in and I'm trying to not let it get to me. I'm thankful that I have friends who will still be here, but I don't know what I'm going to do without my friendly neighbors I go to almost daily. We'll survive, that's what we'll do! B/c God never gives us more than we can handle and He never asks us for help in solving our problems.

Ryan & Katie Myhre said...

We understand all too well. As I am in the Army, our deployments are typically a minimum of 12 months...and it really is just a matter of time. We won't know for a couple months where we're headed next either, but we trust it will go as it should and we will all do our best and make the most of the new situations. You and your family will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! Give JB a hug from us! -The Myhre Family

Jess said...

Good luck! Will say a prayer for sure!