Saturday, February 13, 2010

. . . worst in the history of the world

It's official. Really official. I am the worst coupon shopper in the history of the planet.

Seriously.

First of all, I don't go on a huge hunt for them. But when they get mailed to me or I stumble across one, I do recognize it's value. I cut them out when I find something useful. But then I forget I have them. Then they expire.

And then, if I manage to go to the store to use them, I forget about them all over again!

Earlier this week, I finally took one of my coupons that I hadn't forgotten about and hadn't expired to the commissary with me. It was for $2 off a package of Huggies Overnights which we put our boys in before bed each night (which lately Elijah has started wetting through too!)

Anyways, They are quite pricey. ($10 for 23 of them which lasts us just under two weeks which timing it by two babies only gets us through 11 nights.)

Needless to say I was excited to only pay $8.00.

So I bought the diapers.

But did I give the cashier my coupon? Nooooo. I left it in my pocket.

The thing is, I know I am going to do this. Well, I know I have the potential to do this. I know my track record.

So I hold the coupon in my hand during my entire grocery experience. And then, somewhere along the way, midway usually, I get tired of holding the coupon. I stick it in my pocket and in my mind I say something like:

Don't worry Wendi. It's two whole dollars off. You'll remember when you get up to the check-out line. This time will be different.

It's like I am a coupon forgetting addict or something.

Yeah.

Right.

Not.

I actually realized right after I paid my money. By then the damage had done. The baggage guy that I just tipped one of my two unsaved dollars said I would have to go to customer service which, due to the construction occurring at the Commissary and BX is in some joint location not actually attached to the grocery part of the store itself.

Forget that.

Instead, I tucked the coupon into my wallet.

If I can remember I have it, and if it doesn't expire, I will buy more diapers next time.

And next time, I will hopefully remember I have the stinkin' coupon.

Worst coupon shopper in the history of the universe. Seriously.

Sheesh.

9 comments:

Joia said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOO with you on this one, Wendi - I could have written this post myself!! = 0/

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

All right. So maybe we are tied Joia. Tied for the worst in the history of the entire universe.

Brittny said...

i am with you both! i am HORRIBLE!!!!!! if i bother buying a paper to get them, they don't have them. money lost. if i buy a paper and they do have them, not ones i'd ever use. money lost. download them off internet. can't get printer to work. time lost. i figure i'll just use the money i would be saving and put the kids in mother's day out so i don't have to take them grocery shopping with me and get mad at them for making me even more frustrated b/c they also hate grocery shopping. so far it's worked great!

Jess said...

Hahaha, I SO do this too.

At least you can just buy another pack? You know you'll need them anyway!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking just what Joia was, "I could have written this post about myself". What I hate most is buying stuff I don't normally buy, but because I have a coupon, I buy it. If I just didn't buy it, I would have saved more money.
Linda

Lisa Cronk said...

I do the exact same thing! I have started writing "(coupon)" behind each item on the grocery list that I intend to use a coupon on...and then I remember sometimes (usually not). And Steve is even worse!
: ) Lisa

Angie said...

i do it all the time too!!

Anonymous said...

It just takes time to get into the habit. Read this for motivation.

http://customsites.yahoo.com/financiallyfit/finance/article-108816-4123-3-how-to-save-100-in-an-hour?ywaad=ad0035

Drew and Emily said...

diapers.com lets you send in your coupons and they hold onto them then you just order what you want and they deal with applying your coupon.

Our youngest is a super duper overnight wetter. We use a cloth diaper cover over his overnight diaper and it keeps his clothes dry.