Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Round Two "I need Help with Dinner"

Okay. At long last. I (with the help from my wonderful husband) have narrowed down the 58 recipes I received upon entry into my "I need Help with Dinner" contest to 37. I gave the 17 pages of print-outs to JB. I thought he would just glance at them and give me a little feedback. But he took his job quite seriously and really helped me pick which ones would be good and not-so-good.

The following 37 recipes (listed in random order) have reached round two. Congratulations!

  1. Nameless Hotdog recipe
  2. Roast and beans in crockpot (multiple recipes given -- going to try one)
  3. Cheese potato soup
  4. Tuna cakes (this recipe included Mayo which has eggs in it but we are going to find an alternative since the recipe looked so good)
  5. Tortellini & spinach
  6. Slow-cooked Southwest Chicken
  7. Crockpot pulled pork sandwiches
  8. Mexican lasagna
  9. Salsa chicken
  10. Butternut squash casserole
  11. Chicken stroganoff
  12. Sweet ham and yams
  13. Hot beef sandwiches (although we'd like to find an alternative to the sugar included in this recipe)
  14. Grandma Farlow's salad
  15. Honey mustard chicken
  16. Roasted lemon chicken
  17. Chicken enchiladas
  18. Beef burgundy
  19. Cheeseburger bacon casserole
  20. Meatloaf muffins with bbq sauce
  21. Tortizzas
  22. Taco soup
  23. Slow cooker chicken and stuffing
  24. Easy chicken casserole
  25. Catalina Chicken (although we are looking for an "all natural alternative to the bottle of dressing)
  26. Cornflake chicken with garlic and rosemary potatoes
  27. Goolash American chop suey
  28. Slow cooker chicken and stuffing
  29. Spaghetti pie
  30. Poppy seed chicken
  31. Chicken, Carrots, and potatoes (again, with dressing alternative possibility)
  32. Classic herb chicken
  33. Tater tot casserole
  34. Easy chicken casserole
  35. Kid's favorite chili
  36. Baked spaghetti
  37. Oriental-broccoli-chicken-stuff

Please don't be upset if we didn't choose your recipe! :) Recipes were mostly eliminated based on having an ingredient we try not to use (corn starch for instance) or just being too advanced for our boys (JB said he would love the fish tacos for himself but not for them.) Soups and chilis were often left out (although we tried a few) simply due to difficulty for the boys to eat them at their age. The recipes themselves still looked fabulous! There honestly wasn't a thing on here that didn't look good to me!

Also, I reserve the right to widdle this down farther if I change my mind about a recipe later. But for now, these are where I am going to get started.

I am not sure how I am going to pick which recipes I will cook first. I will probably base my ordering on variety (i.e. I won't pick 5 chicken recipes right off the bat) and ease of cooking them.

I then plan to give the recipe a rating of 0-5 stars with the help of the handsome and incredibly appreciative men who make up the rest of my household. (Scrubs included.)

I will then take all the 5 and possibly 4 star recipes and enter them into my final round. I wasn't planning on having a final round, but I think I am going to need it with all these entries. For the final round, I am considering enlisting some of you out there to help me judge. But it'll be, probably two months, until I get that far.

I will let you know when I try a recipe and how it goes. I may even include some photos depending on how ambitious I am and how peaceful the house currently is. This will take awhile. I doubt I'll cook a recipe every single night. But a few a week at least.

So . . . let the contest begin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still remaining anonymous but to let you know on the beef with the sugar I have cut it down as far as a 1/2 cup and it still works great. I'm sure that you could experiment with some of the sugar alternatives out there just wouldn't know how much to suggest as the sugar is to counter balance the acid from the tomatoes and vinegar that help to break down and soften the meat.

David and Lesley said...

I think you should compile all your recipes into a cookbook and post it online so I can print it out. :)

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

I am excited about following the recipe adventure;)

ErieContrary said...

Wow! I can't believe how excited I am to hear your thoughts on these! And then, I think I'll try to make the ones you recommend highly! Just a thought......(if it's too much work don't worry about it)...but maybe you could post the recipe ingredients/directions on your blog on the day that you analyze it? It's just that your comment section is so long to go through, that it would help all of us out here know exactly which recipe you are talking about, and we could print it out without printing out the WHOLE list on the comment section. Did that make sense?? :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Yep! I think that's a great idea Erica!

Jennifer said...

Yeah! I can't wait to see how they turn out and then all of us can try them too. I always need new recipes that are kid friendly and easy.