Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

I had this idea.

I would sit down this morning and write a very thought-provoking post on Easter. It would be long and detailed and heartfelt.

Fast forward to the actual day. Today. Easter morning. Things are busy. Elijah just fed. Isaac will be getting up soon. Lots to do to get ready for church. I must admit that I don't have the time to choose my words. I don't have the time for what I was writing in my head throughout the day yesterday. (Writing in my head is something I often do.)

Not very many moments for a lot of in-depth writing.

Thank goodness for good friends. This morning I popped over to Erica's blog and read her post about Easter. About the holiday that many people are celebrating for many different reasons. Erica's post actually said exactly what I would have hoped to say in just a few short words.

So, instead of writing my whole post on what should be a favorite holiday of anyone professing to be a Christian, I thought I would steal a quote from Erica and a post she actually took the time to write. While the words are her's, they could have been mine. They could have been the words of any Christian. When Erica lists her sins . . . we can list our own.

So let me set the record straight for anyone who doesn't know how I feel. I am amazed and humbled that God loves me for who I am and came to this world to die on the cross. If I had been the only person in the whole world, across the span of eternity, that would have accepted Him, He would have still come. Me. Imperfect. Selfish. Jealous. Unkind. Judgmental. Smart allec. Me. And He would have come for you too - even if you had been the only one.

This is what Christ did for us when he died on that cross. That is what we are celebrating today. I don't have a problem with Easter bunnies and decorating eggs and having fun with "world" views of the holiday. Just like Christmas with its trees and gingerbread houses and Christmas lights. Many Christians may disagree with me, but I believe that these extra bits of celebration can simply add to the underlying meaning behind the reason we are celebrating.

During the midst of our fun celebrations, let us not forget the real reason that we celebrate Easter. Today was the day that our Savior rose from the dead. Today is the day that we can celebrate what He did for us.

If you aren't familiar with the reason Christian's celebrate on this day, I think this website adequately explains:

The meaning of Easter is Jesus Christ's victory over death. His resurrection symbolizes the eternal life that is granted to all who believe in Him. The meaning of Easter also symbolizes the complete verification of all that Jesus preached and taught during His three-year ministry. If He had not risen from the dead, if He had merely died and not been resurrected, He would have been considered just another teacher or Rabbi. However, His resurrection changed all that and gave final and irrefutable proof that He was really the Son of God and that He had conquered death once and for all.

I know there are many people who read my blog who do not share my faith. It is not a faith I can hide or edit. So, as Erica said, let me set the record straight for anyone who doesn't know how I feel . . . Happy Easter! Happy day of Christ's resurrection!

4 comments:

Jess said...

Happy Easter indeed!!

I love Easter. And Christmas. But Easter has real weeklong meaning for me, while Christmas is really just two days amidst a slurry of stuff! I think of the eggs, too, as a Christian symbol, too. And it's all one big party to celebrate Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection!

The Woodfords said...

Thanks for your post (and Erica's!), Wendi! =) What a special and unique joy we have - to know our sins forgiven, and have peace with God (among SO many other things!). Wonderful too to be "children of God" - which makes us sisters!! A very Happy Easter to you and your family!
Steph

Keith said...

Wendi,

I wanted to pass my condolences along to you as Kenny Perry, the pride of Franklin, Kentucky, lost in a two hole playoff to Angel Cabrera from south America. I know you would have been rooting for Kenny if you watched even a smidgen of golf.

Love you

Happy Easter,

Your Bro

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

LOVE IT!
You saw how in depth my post was.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and those of your friend!

GREAT seeing you and handsome Isaac today. He is tooooo cute! :)