Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happy birthday best friend (and more randomness)

Excuse the randomness of this post . . . lots of little things to report as I am feeling much refreshed after an event-free evening. Both JB and I went to bed an nine and slept the night through. I only awoke in the midst of a contraction a few quick times, and other than Scrubs scaring me half to death by jumping right up in my face with the sunlight, it was a peaceful evening.

So first things first . . .

I caught the clap on video! Not sure who I am more proud of: Mom the videographer or Isaac the clapper. Or, maybe Dad in the background helping show him what to do.


Some more randomness . . .

Yesterday, Brittney watched Isaac for me all day so I could try to get some rest. She put some great pics of their adventures on her blog. I love the one of Isaac "judging" the hoola hoop contest. I laughed out loud.

I also realized that this was the longest I have ever left our little boy. I was proud of myself for only calling Brittney's house one time, but by 4:30pm, I couldn't stand it anymore. Even though JB was supposed to pick him up, I called him and told him that: No, I cannot wait for you to finish your notes. No, thirty more minutes is too long. No, I have to go get my little Chubba Chubba now! So I swung by the hospital, picked up an almost-done-with-his-notes Dr. JB, and then went to get our little guy! I really missed him!

Chubba Chubba. That's more randomness to share with you. Bobbie's son Robert came up to us the other day, tickled Isaac and said, "Mom, isn't he just a Chubba Chubba?!" We laughed so hard and have slipped into calling Isaac this now even though he is starting to thin out a bit more. Don't worry. We'll change nicknames before he knows what this means.

(More Sunday School funnies. When I was teaching the 6 & 7 year old class at church, one of the kids asked me what was wrong with Isaac's wrists. They were concerned about the lines going across them. I assured them that this was just chub that he would outgrow! :)

Totally unrelated and random question. What does a doctor reply to the question of: "Are you really smart?" Those cashiers at the Commissary ask the darndest things. We stopped at the grocery store after getting Isaac. JB was still in uniform, and the cashier ascertained from reading his badges that he was a physician. "Are you really smart?" she asked. JB was thankful that I jumped in to help answer the question so he didn't have to try to answer it himself. Do you say, "Why yes. Actually, I am the smartest guy ever." Or do you say, "No, I just slinked my way through medical school?" Not sure what the right answer is to a question like this. I've always been good at keeping my hubby humble though. I assured her that he was just very average and that if she had a dream of medical school -- go for it! :)

In closing, I need to wish my hubby JB an awesome 33rd birthday! 33! Woah! How did this happen? I asked JB last night, "Are you really going to be 33?!" He replied yes and that he was so fortunate to have a "bride that always makes him feel young." (That was tounge and cheek due to my dropped jaw when I asked him if 33 was really how old he was.) Hard to believe I started dating this strapping young lad when he was just 17! Next year I will have been with him for half of his life. Scary. Wonderful but scary.

Want some more random?

For some reason, I can remember the year my Dad turned 33 when I was a child. I think it is because he told me this was an exciting year for him due to some parallel with Christ's life. I can't remember if it is when Christ started his ministry or when he died? Anyways, the scary thing was, when I asked my Dad that, I was like 9! Geesh my parents had me young. My mom was 21 when she had me! Ten years younger than I was when we had Isaac. Wow.

Happy birthday best friend! Maybe we can get Elijah to share your big day with you. C'mon little guy -- isn't the 24th a great day to join us in this world?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wen, i can't believe how much Isaac looks like (and/or makes expressions like)John!!! Tante Jan

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!
Love,
Aunt Linda

Gabbs said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!

Anonymous said...

What an exciting thirty-three years you've had! Sure are proud of you! Have a great day with your family (hope it increases soon!)
love you and Happy Birthday!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday John! 33 is a great number. Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Patrick Ewing...many of the greats were also "33". :) We miss you guys and can't wait to see you next month!! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday John!

-Bri

ps: love you isaac,

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad. I called you this morning and when I hung up I remembered it was JB's birthday. I didn't dare call back. I really thought I was going to be there for his birthday and that would have been gift enough!!! O dear!
Hope it's a happy day John. Glad you're part of the family!!!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Josh would say that John shouldn't want to share his day. Jordan's is the day before Josh's and he complains about it every year! Just kidding! Any complaining he does is joking of course. Happy Birthday John! I hope Elijah comes soon too! --Sarah

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

33....HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!
33 is the age at which Christ died.

I am craking up about the commissary...those ladies are always good for a laugh. NICE answer Wendi! He could just always turn it back to God..."all the brains I do have is thanks to God" or something humble like that. That IS a funny question!

CHUBBA CHUBBA...GREAT nickname. We called Bubba this for a while. He was such a Chubba Chubba...wondering if you actually pronounce the CH? I said it more like SH! My SKINNY boy, once a CHUBBA! :) Guess that is all my randomness! :) MAYBE see you Sunday? Glad you slept so well!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, John Kit-no-hiney-stieney.

We miss you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Please wish JB a related Happy Birthday from us (I last checked the blog on Friday, so we didn't know)!
Hope you guys had a moment to do something special ;-)

Anonymous said...

Geez, I meant "B"lated...

TAV said...

happy (belated) bday, john!!!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! I am so excited for you! I enjoying seeing what Isaac is up to too - my son is about two month younger than him so it's very interesting! Anyway... I thought you might like to know... My son has an exersaucer like Isaac's - which he LOVES... yesterday I got to looking at some of the toys on it and the paint on the cow, pig and sheep has been coming off when he's chewing on them! I called Evenflo today and they assured me that it's non toxic - water based paint, but I took them off anyway... they offered to send replacements of the same toys or three compatible ones from their other saucers... she gave me 4 choices and I'm having them send me 3 that have cloth chewing components - I'd rather not worry about it... Anyway... thought you might want to check Isaac's out - sorry for the long post!