Saturday, January 03, 2009

A little bad luck . . .

I'm not one to believe in bad luck or attribute things to bad luck or blame things on bad luck. As an athlete, some thought it strange that I never had superstitions or traditions. No, I never failed to wash my socks, or blinked my eyes three times before a free throw, or touched some object as we ran out of the locker room. I've never been one to talk about omens or signs or anything like that, and I don't believe speaking things out loud can curse the good luck. I've always just attributed everything to God's plan for my life. That has really tended to keep things simple.

But this raises an interesting question. Is it God's plan that every one of JB's patients delivers her baby at inopportune times? I do have to wonder . . .

When one of JB's gals went into labor yesterday, again, on his day off, I really did have to wonder. Since he has ben here at Eglin, only one of his ladies has delivered when he is already at the hospital. Why do they continue to go into labor at the exact moment that he is out of the hospital? Do they just know that he is home with his family? In addition, this gal went into labor on the worst day -- a Friday. This means that he has to go up to the hospital on Saturday and Sunday as well. Actually, it's Saturday morning, 7:03, and he just wandered out into the fog for the visit. We all hope he won't be gone too long.

Now don't get me wrong, please. I'm incredibly happy for this gal and for the baby and for their families. Obviously she can't control when she goes into labor. But what is wrong with a Monday morning? JB is already at the hospital. And he already has to go in on Tuesday and Wednesday. A Monday morning delivery requires no additional visits or loss of time we thought we would have as a family. Patients of JB's future: think Monday!

JB finally straggled home last night around 7pm. Isaac and I actually took two hours and went and hung out with him in the call room midday which was fun. Isaac was sleepy but didn't want to go to sleep so we laid on the call bed for nearly an hour, Isaac perched in between us as he just kept rolling from Daddy to Mommy, grabbing our noses and eyes and hair and anything else he could get his little tiny fists around. JB's pager sent us home and down for a nap, but it was good to see him anyway.

Hopefully this weekend will be a fairly quiet one. None of his patients are anywhere close to laboring. Except me that is. :)

6 comments:

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Well, it seems that God would want to teach you something...as He always does each of us! :)

I would so be the way you are but WAY more upset. Good that you and Isaac had a visit. That sounded fun. Hang in there...soon you will have him in your delivery and some time off!!! :) YAY!!!!!

TAV said...

wen- i dreamt last night that you delivered baby elijah! i don't want to tell you the weight but everything went wonderfully... i can't wait to hear that, for you, it will be any day now!! you're so close!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Were you my doctor? Was he under 8 pounds? These are important facts you know?!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like God is preparing you for the life of a doctor's wife. I watch those shows on TV and they never appear to be home.

I guess the only true way of planning for a birth is a c-section.

Gabbs said...

To the above anonymous person-

Ha ha, not always true! I had a c-secton, scheduled 2 weeks and 2 days EARLIER than my January 4th due date--set up for December 19th, 2005 (you'd think that was enough time to ensure NOT going into labor). God and my little Nate, however, had other plans. I went into labor on the evening of December 13th, and Nate was born at 9:30ish in the morning on December 14th via c-section. He was born exactly 3 weeks to the day of his due date, go figure.

Anonymous said...

Funny post! I feel your pain Wendi. I feel your pain.