Saturday, July 07, 2007

Titleless



Last night, after our day at the beach, Matt and Tiffany had the idea to go Baytowne Wharf. This is in Sandestin -- about forty-five minutes from our homes on base. Cliff and Jodi joined us.Baytowne Wharf is amazing, and I can't believe we have never heard of this or been here before! It's website describes it as: a picturesque pedestrian village overlooking the Choctawatchee Bay. That is pretty accurate. JB and I will definitely return here, especially with guests, in the future.I had never been to a "dueling piano bar". Nor, honestly, did I have any idea what a "dueling piano bar" is. For one thing, most of you know that I don't drink at all so quite honestly, I've been to very few bars in my life nonetheless a dueling piano bar. But Matt and Tiffany had been before. There were tons of restaurants to choose from for dinner, but we followed their recommendation and chose the restaurant: Rum Runners. Folks, this was one of the most fun evenings I have had in quite some time. If you have the opportunity to go to dueling piano bar, you seriously need to consider it.First of all, it isn't just a bar. It's a restaurant. We didn't really drink -- instead we were seated for dinner. During dinner, these two pianists sit down at two different pianos. There are mirrors behind them so you can see their hands moving during the performance. They actually don't duel. Instead, they take turns playing audience requests. You bring up a request with money attached. The more money, the quicker your song will get played. Then, one of the pianists will play. Sometimes they will play together. Sometimes they will pass the song off to the other mid-song. Sometimes people dance. (Matt and Tiffany did some sort of Texas-dancing. They said they aren't that good in comparison to their friends in Texas, but compared to us, they were fantastic!)JB decided to make a request for the song "Short People." Neither of us had ever heard this song until my brother's wedding -- when we heard this song on the CDs that Keith and AD gave out as wedding favors. If you have not heard this song, scroll to my play list on the right toolbar of this screen and listen to this song. It's hilarious!!!Anyways, JB put a $5 bill on the song -- nearly guaranteeing it would get played. Sure enough, two songs later, the guy begins playing "Short People", telling us that it was only the 3rd time in his career that this song had been requested. He did a fabulous job. In fact, both pianists were unbelievably amazing. Here they are, playing any song thrown at them and singing it well. What a fun evening!Today, Saturday, I will be working most of the day to make up for some of the time I took off over the week. I will also be watching the Wimbeldon final (Go Venus!) and waiting for our furniture to arrive.JB is doing his first "on call" day today. This means he went in this morning at 7am and will be done tomorrow morning at 7am. Hopefully, I can join him for dinner this evening, and hopefully, he will get some sleep tonight, but it all just depends on the night itself. I have a lot to do so I am not worried about being bored at all, but I will miss my JB. :)

7 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

That sounds like so much fun, Wendi!

So...do you have visitors the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving?

If Hans could get it off, and we could find decent airfare...???

Hope you have a good day and enjoy your new furniture!

TAV said...

I would LOVE to watch those piano players!
And I got up early specifically to watch Wimbledon, too! Go, Venus! :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Rachel, we currently have a vacancy that weekend. Shall I pencil you in?!

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one feeling "old" right now? They never heard the song "short people"?
Oh, and Wendi, all this fun you're having is making me jealous and wondering why I live in Indiana. Just jaunting off for a day on a pontoon boat at an ocean bay, followed by a beautiful evening at a piano bar? I think I'm going to try to come for a visit too! Linda

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Linda, I can pencil you in too? When would you like to come?!?!

Anonymous said...

Wendi: that sounds so fun. How come there was no ice cream boat when we were out there?
Linda: Short people should be the Huisman theme song!!!!

yuan family said...

That town looks amazing and it would be so much fun to see dueling pianists! When can I come? I especially want to have ice cream in the ocean! I am watching Wimbledon too!