Monday, July 02, 2007

Brianna

If you are an old high school friend, then you will probably think the chick featured at right in the picture below looks familiar.


Yes folks, that is Brianna. Those of you who knew me then, remember photos like the ones below. If you didn't know me then, well, here I am in my mid-teens. Have a good laugh why don't you:


Brianna and I were, without a doubt, like sisters. Her parents -- Roy and Joan V. were great family friends of my parents. I grew up with them always in the picture. They had a son in 1982, Brant James. I started babysitting for Brant when I was 11 and he was 4 years old. When he passed away in 1989, I was nearing 14. I was lost without Brant and without daily visits to Roy and Joan's.

But six months later, they received an incredible gift -- Brianna. She was, the most adorable little kid!!! I babysat for Brianna all the time and hung out at their house, constantly. It was a second home to me. I went on vacations and absolutely loved growing up with Brianna.

When I left for college in 1995, Brianna was 5. In 1998, when she was 9, I married JB in Kentucky. Brianna was my junior bridesmaid.


As she became a teenager, we didn't stay as close as we were when she was younger, but I have remained very close with their family and still connect with Brianna (who is now officially known as "Bri") every time I am back in town. When Roy got very sick a few years ago, they spent a week with us in Minnesota while he was being treated at Mayo. (He's doing great today!)

They will always be extremely dear to me. This past week, Brianna was able to spend the week with me. It's weird to see her, now, about to enter her senior of high school, and becoming quite the grown-up. I am excited because she is going to spend her senior year at the high school JB and I went to -- Fort Lauderdale Christian School! It's also weird to have a teenager around. I'm afraid I really don't know what to do with a teenager. Am I really that old? But Brianna said I did well and seemed to enjoy her time here -- sleeping, eating, watching movies, playing on the computer, learning how to play me in Tetris, and shopping.

She and JB have a similar (slightly warped) sense of humor so they enjoyed watching movies together. This morning, I drove her to the airport in Pensacola and said good bye. It will be weird not having anyone around the house. We don't have any scheduled company for the next two weeks. [Edited to read: Justin is my next company and he is who I was talking about, but I counted wrong. He's coming in a week. SORRY!] We are therefore booked the week of July 9-12. However, we currently have a vacancy as of July 13. :)

Have you booked your vacation at the Kit's B&B?! WE WANT COMPANY so please come and visit and keep me from thinking my house is quiet.

I'll miss you Bri!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No company for 2 weeks?!! Have you already forgotten about your cousin in about 1 week?!! Maybe I won't visit now. Maybe I'll just drive by your house and just wave. Maybe I'll....do something else that would...sound like something that would...make you feel bad for forgetting about me.

Justin
(remember me? Uncle Bob's youngest? On your Dad's side?)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Justin, you are the one I was TALKING ABOUT!!!! I was thinking that was two weeks! I added wrong.