Saturday, July 28, 2007

An Update on Matt

Matt with wife Danielle

--UPDATE (May, 2008) --
Matt is home and back with his wife Danielle. We can't wait to see him. Maybe in September.
--UPDATE (May 6, 2008) --
Matt should be home soon!
--UPDATE (March 23, 2008) --
Matt is no longer in the USA. We hope he will be back home sometime in May? Please keep him, Danielle, and the Kit. family in your prayers as he continues to serve his country.
--UPDATE (March 6, 2008) --
Matt is home for Iraq. It is just for two weeks, and we won't get a chance to see him, but we are excited by this nonetheless. He is going on a cruise with Danielle and everyone is thrilled that he gets a visit. Just a few more months, and he should be home for good.
--UPDATE (December 25, 2007) --
Thinking of Matt and all our servicemen spending this holiday away from their families. We were blessed to be able to talk to Matt on the phone during our gift-opening ceremony today. We miss him and love him very much and pray for him every single day.
Here's a video we made for Matt on Christmas Day.
--UPDATE (November 10, 2007) --


Matt now has internet access in his room which means we are hearing from him a lot more. It used to be that he would have to walk 1.5 miles to use internet and then wait in line. So now he is much more available to us! I am actually chatting with him on instant messenger as we speak. He seems to be doing well and tells me if it wasn't for missing Danielle, he wouldn't really have anything to complain about.

Matt hopes to get leave in March!!! Not sure if we'll get to see him, but we hope so! Here's a few pictures.




--UPDATE (October 13, 2007) --

I have obtained pictures from the wedding Matt and Danielle had before he left for Iraq. Here they are? Isn't she lovely?! We look forward to Matt being home next Summer and celebrating some more with the two of them.






--UPDATE (August 31, 2007)--


I now have Matt's address if anyone would like to send him a care package. There are tons of great ideas online for what to send our overseas troups. You can also actually just go to sites like this one: MILITARY CARE PACKAGES and have the package made and sent right to him.

-- UPDATE (August 21, 2007) --


The family received a "mass" email from Matt yesterday. Apparently, it is pretty hot there. As Matt says: "I'm doin good. It's insainly hot and more sand than you could ever imagine. Sand is everywere. No, seriously. Take a blow dryer put it on high heat full blast hold it 6 inches from your face then throw sand in the air. That's kinda what it feels like. but it could always be worse so I'm thankful for all the niceities that are provided."

Matt did provide an address whree people can send things, however, I am not sure it is correct yet so I will let you know when it is and some ideas if you would like to send him a care package. I'm sure he would love it even if you don't know him that well.

-- UPDATE (August 14, 2007) --


We now know that Matt is in Kuwait. That's really all I know. He called and spoke with Danielle. He called JB's parents too, but they missed the call. Your prayers for Matt, our family, and Danielle are much appreciated. I can't give too much details (if I am even knew them) but will provide whatever I can.

-- UPDATE (August 7, 2007)

Matt is officially married and has officially left Fort Lauderdale. He actually got off duty 12 hours earlier than expected as you can read in a comment from my mother-in-law. When the five guys got to the airport, the red-eye was booked. The airline asked for volunteers to allow these guys to have 12 extra hours with their family, and 5 people volunteered to give up their seats so that they could have a few more hours at home.

Matt and Danielle were married in her family's church. Danielle is Catholic, however, they didn't have a mass. It was a short and simple ceremony. The deacon was a former Marine and prayed for Matt's safety and is placing a picture of him on their military wall. They were actually married on their four and a half year anniversary. I hope to have more updates for you later.

-- UPDATE (August 3, 2007) --

Matt returns from Wisconsin today where he is been training for his deployment. He will be in Fort Lauderdale for two days and during those two days, he and Danielle are getting married! They are heading to the courthouse and will have a nice reception when he returns from Iraq. For now, quick is all they have time for. I know that getting married will help them financially while he is deployed and also give Danielle military benefits and everything that comes with being a military wife. So I know that is a big reason for the drop-in at the courthouse today. If I get any pictures, I'll be sure to include them.


-- INTRO --

Those of you who have read my blog for long enough or know me personally, know that I am about as anti-conflict as they come. On one of my very early blogs back in 2005, I told everyone that I would be avoiding the major conflict areas in this blog, primarily politics. I just really hate when people feel uncomfortable. We all have different beliefes and that's what makes our country what it is. So let's each other despite that. I think our friendship with Bara is a perfect example of that. I have been so blessed getting to know Bara and see all that we do have in common instead of all the things that we don't have in common. If the whole world could do that, we'd have a different world today.

Some of you may know that JB's younger brother Matt is in the Army. In fact, Matt is being prepared to be deployed for Iraq. This is where the anti-conflict part comes in. I know some of you are angry about the war or have strong opinions about it. That is perfectly fine. I, personally, am not even going to comment on the war.

Instead, I believe that it is important that we always support our troops no matter what we believe about the war. When JB decided to go into the Air Force, we knew that he would be deployed. We also knew that he might be deployed somewhere that we didn't personally agree with. That is an something you understand when you decide to work for your country. I know some countries require all males to do time for the military (Bara taught us this). We currently are not in a situation in our country where that is the case. Instead, my husband, and my brother-in-law Matt, chose to work for the USA.

I say all that to say that I appreciate the diversity of people who visit my blog, and I have no desire to make this a place that people feel uncomfortable visiting. For that reason, while I think it is important to update this blog on what's happening with Matt, I think it is also important not to get into a big political debate or cause people to get "riled up". I am therefore going to keep a link called "Updates on Matt" under the "My Favorite Places" link. If you would like to read more about Matt and how he is doing over the next months of his life, you can. If you don't want to read about the Matt, you don't have to. And we'll leave it like that.

Currently, Matt is is up north where he is training before leaving for Iraq later this fall. He called JB the other day and asked him to send some "gorp" (I think that is how you spell it?!) This is a chocolate, dried fruit, nut mix that JB has made on past camping trips. This stuff is awesome!! JB not only made him some gorp, but he made Matt TONS of gorp. Here are some pics of the gorp before it mailed out. We mailed all of this but the one bag I snuck out to share with my friends on our "Girls' Nite Out".


I'll be linking this blog onto the side of my web page. Check back periodically for updates on Matt. We love you "Oatmeal". :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I have some gorp too?

AW said...

Wendi, I'm a HUGE trail mix fan, although this looks a little fancier. Would you mind posting or emailing me the recipe? This sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

yep we're all waiting for the recipe now!
i was sooo happy seeing John in the kitchen again and looking more than alive! :)
hugs

Anonymous said...

'n God bless Matt and his darling fiance...and Matt's whole family!
Jan

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU, MATT!!!!!!!!!

The Ray Family said...

Listen... John's gorp goes way beyond good. I call it Ultimate trail mix. I made some and took it to Cambodia in my suitcase in the event that syuitable delicacies were not avilable. It was great on long lay overs at the airports. I'm sure it was not as good as JB's but I did my best to recreate it.

Anonymous said...

Matt actually arrived this morning at 1:00AM-had his brother Rob sneak out of the house to go and get him (which I heard, so was waiting up when he got here) Then he woke up Dad and then went to see Danielle! This morning, we went to breakfast and he's running a few errands. They are actually having their ceremony at a church-have to get their license and three day waiver from the judge first- at the courthouse. Neat thing: the five soldiers leaving Wisconsin for Ft Ldr. got an early leave-12 hours- and wanted to get an earlier flight.Plane was full-but the airline actually asked for volunteers so the guys could have a few extra hours with their families.People were great and all the guys got on board-with apologies from the airline for not being able to bump them all to first class! Northwest airlines is terrific! Please pray for a blessed day for Matt and Danielle and that we'd have pretty weather for them for the next few days.