Thursday, July 26, 2007

A quick trip to the park

JB showed up at our door at 9:00am looking quite whipped. I asked him if we could just take one hour and go to the park with Scrubs. This was quite a sacrifice for John as it is one less hour he can sleep. But he agreed. We picked up some Burger King for breakfast and went and sat at the park. It was wonderful to have one hour together even though John could barely make conversation he was so tired.

This park is absolutely fantastic. If I have a child while I live here, we'll spend a lot of time here. Not only is there an amazing play area bigger than any park I have ever seen, but there is also a mini splash park open from 8-8 everyday! How amazing is that? Scrubs stayed closed to us for awhile while about 20 five-year-olds from the daycare next door splashed around, but he then loosened up. He finally decided he would take a closer look and since I was done with my french toast stiks, we made our way over to the side of the play area.

All of a sudden we were swamped by about five five-year-olds asking me if they could pet the puppy, telling me that Dalmatians were their favvvvoriiittteee. Before I knew it the kids were actually laying on Scrubs -- all over him. They loved him. They pet the dog everywhere. It's a good thing we've been doing as the book said and touching this dog anywhere a kid does -- pulling on his ears, his tail, his feet. And Scrubs? He just sat there willingly while the kids swamped him with love. He looked a little confused but didn't react negatively at all. No licking, no nipping, nothing. I was so proud! Later, we ran into a father with a huge dog (not sure what kind) and his two daughters. Scrubs and the other dog sniffed around but got along fabulously! You go Scrubs.

It is VERY important to me that my little pup is an angel with kids. So if you live by me and have kids, please visit us often. We need surrogate children to make sure he is good with them and all the books say this major introduction should occur before 6 months of age.

JB is now sleeping soundly. Thanks for a fun morning JB. I know it was hard.

3 comments:

AW said...

Wendi, this is a great story! We got our boxer when he was a year old, so we had no idea of he'd been socialized with children. When my SIL was in town, her little 8-month old, leaned over to Bo, grabbed a handful of ear and another handful of neck fur and just started climbing all over him and chewing on anything he could get his gums around. Bo just sat there and didn't flinch. I was so proud! :-)

Anonymous said...

So Wen,
Does "Life in the Polar North Defrosts" mean your heart is still in MN and you are just beginning to adapt/adjust/accept the South again? or has it more than defrosted!?
Tante Jan

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I think it means I'm warming up. Sort of. :)