Saturday, March 10, 2007

Saturday

Well it is 8:22 on Saturday morning, and I just woke up. I took an Ambien last night and slept, as I usually do when I take one of these magic pink pills, like a rock. For awhile, I am just going to take them every night -- at least until I can get caught up. Then we might, again, try to "wean" down the dosage.

I actually didn't get into bed last night though until after 1am. A bunch of JB's classmates convened on a famous steakhouse in the cities, about an hour north of here. It was very good despite the fact that I don't completely get the fascination with steak. We women decided it was definitely a "man" thing. It was a really good time though, and I am glad I decided to go. Up until about thirty minutes before JB left, I was going to stay home and just try to get some work done and converge on my bed early. However, at the last minute, we decided to give me Mountain Dew and let me join JB as he headed up-state.

Today I am going to be doing work for RLS and Mayo the entire day. The issue with both my jobs right now is that I am preparing to take a six week leave. There are just a lot of things that need to "put to rest" before I take off for this time. My physician at Mayo has hired a new girl (from the candidates I helped interview) to come in 10 hours a week. However, she doesn't start until a few weeks after I leave. I will get to "train" her before I go, but I really need to have things in order before I leave her there to figure it all out for herself. When I return, she and I will work together in office for a few weeks, and then I will head to Florida. The idea is that she will remain his administrative assistant 10 hours a week at Mayo, and I will serve as his "Editorial Assistant" approximately 10-14 hours a week from Florida. However, at a place like Mayo, this has to go through a thousand pieces of red tapes and committees that meet on committee. This has not been officially approved yet. My boss in confident that we will eventually get the committee to stamp things in our favor, but that hasn't happened yet.

Getting things approved at RLS is quite different. There are six of us currently working there, and the Board quickly approved my remote work. In addition to my hopeful continual of my job at Mayo, my job at RLS will continue in the same fashion as it is currently when I move to Florida. The only difference is that I will be picking up more responsibilities as my ability to take on more hours increases. I do 16 hours a week for them now. In Florida, I will probably be doing between 20-30. My main job at RLS right now is to write articles and text for various publications. If you would like to see examples of the types of things I write, you can visit www.rls.org's publication page at: PUBLICATIONS. I also do a lot of work on our website itself, a lot of PowerPoint, and various other tasks.

I really enjoy both tasks and am excited about writing/editing full-time from Florida. It has always been my goal to actually be a writer. At least a writer who gets paid. I think that as of June 4th, my first day telecommuting 100%, I will really be a writer.

Okay, off to catch up on work. Have a great weekend folks. Our snow is melting like crazy!!! Thirty-seven feels amazingly warm!!!

No comments: