Monday, March 19, 2007

Not so sunny Sunday

Yesterday we went to the cities with the Philips and the Jones. Lesley took a few pictures, I should ask to get them from her. The day started off pretty sunny and semi-warm (and by warm I mean -- thirties.) However, unfortunately, that was probably the warmest it got all day. It progressively got more and more overcast and more and more colder. Oh well.

We went to Bethlehem Baptist in the cities where author John Piper is the pastor. There are actually three campuses, and you don't know which he will preach it. We rolled the die incorrectly as he was on a "screen" preaching at the downtown campus. However, none of us really minded it as much as we thought it would. If you looked down, you had no idea he wasn't there.

One of the things we all loved about the service was the incorporation of music from different cultures. They sang a fantastic worship song from the congo -- alternating between English and Congonese (Is that what it is called? No idea.) We loved this! I really enjoyed the service and was blessed to have gotten the opportunity to hear John Piper speak -- if only on a big screen.

Afterwards, Christo took us to a fantastic Indian restaurant. This was south Indian (Christo's type of food), and it was really, really good. The cricket world cup was on so we also watched that. Well actually, we mostly listened to Christo try to explain it to us. It looks like a very fun game, but I still only have a slight grasp on how it is played.

A stop at IKEA ended our day. I drove down and back with the Jones in the backseat so that the three medical students could study for their pharmacology test on Friday. This will be JB's last test of medical school. Hard to believe, huh?

In other news, I am sad to say that I need to call the dentist this morning and return to get this crown "lowered". I spoke to my soon-to-be-dentist friend Rachel (who is currently sunning in Mexico) via email. She said that this is very common and should only take a few minutes. But man I do NOT want to go back to the dentist today. But I must. The tooth pain, while very dull, is getting worse each day, and I want to make sure I give myself time to return again prior to our Sunday departure.

This will be the last week of regular posts in the "Polar North" for quite some time so take it all in folks!! :)

1 comment:

The Adekolas said...

We've always wanted to go to John Piper's Church as well, but have never known where he'll be preaching. I guess we'll try the downtown campus. 2 more sleeps before Nigeria...we'll be thinking & praying for you guys. Have fun!