Friday, March 30, 2007

Hello from the Oyibu

Surprise! I finally have secured some internet access. I know you all probably want to know everything, however, being as there is a long line for the computer, I am not sure everything will be possible. However, I will do my best to attempt to share with you all the highlights of our adventure. I believe Tara was going to attempt to load a picture, however, the internet access is so slow, that pictures may have to wait.

I find myself sitting here with so much to say and no ability to actually figure out what is the most important. I will tell you that the rumor is, our luggage has arrived in Abuja. However, getting it from Jos (4 hours away) is another story. Currently, the goal is that we will have it by Tuesday. We have made due with what we have.

We arrived in Jos on Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday afternoon, we headed to a rural clinic about an hour away. We spent the next day and a half servicing this rural community. I have never, in all my life, seen anything like what I saw during these two days. I stood at the door, determined if the patient spoke Housa or English – whether they needed a translator or not – and then ushered them to one of the doctors. The doctors included Tara, Ajit, JB, Dr. Chris (more on him later), a surgeon, Dr. Aquiris (sp?), and a nurse Loretta. Kelsey helped Loretta. It was amazing to see my husband dealing with these patients and how quickly he became acclimated to tropical medicine.

The people lined up at the door for hours. When we went to lunch, they sat down to hold their space in line. There were thousands of people – some only mildly sick. Some very, very sick. They begged at the door for a turn to come in and were so happy and thankful to be seen by a doctor. At some point, I will try to document my time at this clinic with pictures, but for now, please trust me when I tell you that I am forever changed. There was no such thing as privacy. These people were very poor and they were so thankful for the opportunity to speak with a doctor if only for a few minutes. One woman came in, desperately wanting a baby and there was nothing Tara could do for her. Other cases were much more serious. At one point, when a woman’s blood pressure was so high that John believed she may not live another day without medication and the pharmacy had run out, Loretta gave her money out of her pocket to see a chemist across the street. I saw so many children who were malnourished. I saw goiters and hernias, and things of which I never dreamed I would actually see. If people couldn’t get in the door, they reached through the windows with notes and requests. Through that same window, people meandered through the field to use the bathroom. When we had to use the bathroom, a man stopped and cleaned it for us. He then asked if he could talk to me about his medical condition. I told him to find John later that day. He found him thirty seconds later. Another time I made the mistake of stopping when someone asked me a question. Before long, dozens of mothers were surrounding me, begging me for help – help I had no way to give. When we closed the doors at 5:45, there were still people lined up that we had to ignore. As Dr. Chris said “you almost feel more depressed when you leave then when you come” because you realize it was only a small drop in the bucket.

One thing really bothered me. Dr. Aquiris is a gifted surgeon. He tried to do surgery but this clinic wouldn't allow it without some money ad Dr. Aquiris does it for free. One man was so excited to get a large lipoma removed from hs forehead that had been there 20 years. He immediately went and shaved his head and fasted until the morning on the surgery -- only to be told they couldn't do it. I was broken hearted.

I also saw a woman crying, surrounded by friends. Then they rolled her loved one's body by on a stretcher. I had never seen a dead body.

Speaking of Dr. Chris, I will have to reserve a post another day for the man he is. He started Faith Alive and dreams of having another Mayo in Africa. You may think this is not possible but Dr. Chris’ faith is contagious! When we pulled up, there was a sign welcoming us, as one of the first steps in this dream -- 3 Mayo docs coming to Faith Alive. He has created a free clinic and provides free HIV tests. I have seen many people with HIV and AIDS here. I have seen people so ill that I feel I can’t even talk about it right now. However, they are so happy – and so blessed to be here. I can say that I am not sure there is a better man alive today. He is amazing.

I have written down so many stats and facts but they will have to wait for another day. I think I will try to type a blog on Tara’s computer later in word that I can then put on the blog later. Let me tell you that I have been amazed at how little I need to survive. There is no running water. We take bucket showers, wash our own clothes, and pour water into the toilet to flush it. There is only electricity on occasion. Internet is possible in the missionary family’s house downstairs, but only if there is electricity or they start the generator and the Internet works at the same time.

We also have had some very tense times. There are security patrols at checkpoints along the road, on every part of your journey. Security is seen as the number one concern, so the government created these checkpoints. Our driver did not stop early enough for one of the guards today. Normally, we slide right through, as we are such a “good” organization and the name of the organization is printed on the same of the van. However, this time, it did not work. Dr. Chris had to go outside and apologize for the driver not “obeying” him to finally get us through. We were worried they would perch us on the side of the road for hours or even worse. Dr. Chris’ brother was shot in a similar situation. He survived but the guards must show power. As long as you let them, then everything is fine.

Nigerian people are the nicest people you could ever meet. They have nothing and yet they love everyone and smile all the time. They call white people “OYIBU”s. This is a positive term of excitement at seeing someone from the “land of milk and honey”. I don’t think my blonde hair and blue eyes hurt at all. All the children want to touch us and Ajit also who they call a “black oyibu”.

I think that is enough for now. I could go on for days with everything I have seen. I will ask that you pray mostly for health. We are all dealing with new food, jet lag, and new surroundings. We are doing well but are little banged up as far as sleep and stomachs are concerned. Today, we had the sewing school make us outfits for the wedding we plan to attend tomorrow. We have taken nearly 200 photos and I would love to share all them with you. I will at a better time.

Blessing friends. I hope to blog again in a few days. Also, please excuse any grammar or spelling errors. I am writing this very quickly!

4 comments:

AW said...

What a wonderful post! I just knew God was working miracles through your hands and hearts over there. Please know what a blessing it is just to be able to view it through your blog! I've been praying every day for God to speak to you over there. Can't wait to read your next entry!

Blessings,
Andi

Anonymous said...

Wow, Wendi! I LOVED reading that post and want you to know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Your lives will certainly be changed through this experience! Can't wait for future updates.

Anonymous said...

my dear wendi,
i am in tears...i am so happy and proud. I can picture it so well as the Tabaru had no doctor and i longed for somethng like Dr. Chris has done, out there...and we lived with people looking in our windows and sitting in our living room thru the day :)...you do get the sense that they have something we don't have tho even with all our wealth in their relationships/community lifestyle. I can't wait to see every picture! with Love Tante Jan

Anonymous said...

By the way,wen, when i was praying yesterday b4 your blog -concerned as there's been no blog i really sensed God wanted me to be praying for all of your health...so will be praying, even more now that i've read you blog.
love you honey!