Saturday, March 03, 2007

My husband is going to be a doctor

I know that JB has been in medical school now for four years. I know that I technically knew along that he was going to be a doctor at the end of these four years. However, suddenly, during the last few days, it has really hit me.

As of May 19, JB is actually going to be a doctor.

Right now he is on the phone with one of my cousins regarding their son's possible pink eye. Last night he was talking Ron and Ebby through Veronica's bout with the flu. We had some friends over last night, and I always watch in awe as they get into medical conversations that might as well be in French for as much as I can understand them. There is the whole other world to my husband now. You should hear him talking! How does he know these things?

I am very happy JB decided to be a family practice doctor. Early on, he was playing with the idea of dermatology or even some sort of surgery. However, he really is a family doctor at heart. He likes so many different things and really enjoys knowing about so many different things. It's quite fascinating to watch. I can't believe that in the beginning of June he'll be an intern (first year resident).

It's amazing to me how much our life has changed since we were married in 1998. In 1998 JB was a graphic designer and running his own business out of our home. By 1999 he was back in school and talking of medicine. All of a sudden it is 2007, and the journey to doctor-dom is almost complete. It really excites me, and I am really very, very proud of him. He put himself through school while running his own business out of our home.

March 15th, all of his fellow classmates find out where they are going for residency. Midday on Thursday, everyone gets together for the results. It is very exciting and bittersweet at the same time. After four years together, everyone is going their separate ways. Dave will be an orthopedic surgeon. Lesley will be a pediatrician. Tara a family practice doctor. Nicole is doing PM&R. Tia will be an internest. Ajit a pediatrician. Hans an anesthesiologist. Wow! I can't believe how fast the time has gone and how close the "end" is.

We also leave for Nigeria in just a matter of weeks. Please be praying for us as there is so much we need to do before we leave and right after we get back.

1 comment:

AW said...

Wendi,

Specifically. How can we pray? What can we pray for?

Andi