Saturday, August 05, 2006

More of the good ol' farm

Friday night we went to the Sviggum farm for a night of fun and competition. Minnesota has its own unique brand of "picnic" games which includes bocce ball and bean bag tosses (Rachel does this game actually have a "name"?) -- both of which I really like. We also played some volleyball and had s'mores by the camp fire. I kept thinking we had had dessert and then there was more dessert! First there were these great "special K bars" that are a Minnesota favorite (and since they are served at every Minnesota function I have been to, they are now a favorite of mine.) Then there was some sort of great ice cream dessert, and then the s'mores. Needless to say, JB and I went for a run this morning.

Here are some photos of our night at Hans' farm:









We got home really late on Friday night and woke up this morning with a list a mile long (slight exaggeration) of things we need to do before JB leaves for Florida tomorrow. Yep, tomorrow is the day that he heads to Florida for one month!

Included on that list was my growing problem of not being able to find shorts. Kristen, you are my new best friend. I took your advice and tried Old Navy (Kohl's had nothing folks). I got not one, not two, not three, not four ... five shorts/kapris.

Here is a photo of me in just one pair (couldn't wear all five at once) of my new shorts courtesy of Kristen! I did buy one short pair, three long pair (including the ones in the picture below), and a pair of Kapris which I had sworn off (mainly because I believed they made me look like I couldn't find pants long enough.) I realized that if they are very short kapris, this assumption is not made.



Our other errands included finding JB a pair of shoes, me a watch (mine broke for good), and returning to the county fair one more time. (The previous exhibits were 4-H, and JB wanted to see the FFA animals.) We are now home, the house is in complete disarray, and my babe is about to leave for one month!

I will be heading down on Thursday to visit him and will be there for about 11 days. My parents, JB's brother and his family, and maybe his parents will all make the nine hour trip to visit us which will be wonderful. We are excited to get a good look at Eglin as most likely, if we aren't in Rochester, this is where we will be.

I also got a call from my brother today. He had a confession to make, and I feel it appropriate to share it with everyone on this blog. Keith tore my birth certificate! He says he was about 13, it was sitting on the table, and he accidentally tore it, but when my dad went yelling about it, Keith never said a word! Unbelievable. So actually Keith owes me the fifty bucks I had to spend to get a new one! Punk!

Also, if you look back at the pictures above, there is a recurrent theme. Can you spot it? There is something that is missing in each picture.

That something is my glasses. It's been nearly three years, but I can now wear my contact lenses again. For those of you who didn't know (and I didn't know either), fertility drugs, primarily clomid which I took during our first year of infertility treatments, dry your eyes out. I went to the opthamologist begging for help because I couldn't wear my contacts at all. She told me there was nothing she could do -- fertility drugs dry your eyes out. My only choice was to start wearing glasses. So I bought two nice pair and for the last three years have basically worn glasses. I have occasionally tried to get my contacts back in and have suffered through the dryness when running or doing other athletic activities, but basically hadn't been able to wear the contacts for more than 2-3 hours at a time. I am now wearing my contacts all day everyday again! YAY! I do like my stylish glasses but have never thought I look as nice with them on as with them off. I will NEVER take clomid again. For one thing, it does diddly squat for me. The other reason is dry eyes. I am slowly returning to normal -- just don't ask my husband if he thinks I am currently normal. These new drugs have not left me a wee bit cranky. (JB would say it is more than a "wee").

Keep trying on the trivia below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want to see all five pairs of new shorts! :) If you can't post all five, I guess I'll have to wait until I get home for a fashion show. Congrats on getting to wear contacts again. Say goodbye to JB for me!! :)

Anonymous said...

PS - thanks for posting a picture of my hubby. What a cutie! :)

Anonymous said...

Wendi,
The name is called....beanbag toss!

p.s. CUTE shorts!

yuan family said...

Yah! I am glad that you found some shorts...Old Navy usually works for me too!