Thursday, August 10, 2006

Blogging from Memphis

So I take out my computer in the airport in Memphis to transfer some work files to the computer and things start popping up and telling me I have wireless, JB calls, tells me I have this thing called "IPAS" and, oh my gosh, I have internet access sitting here in the Memphis Airport. This is amazing. Now if I could get the woman on the speaker to quit talking, all would be well with the world. Oh and if I could take back the barbque I spilled on my new white linen kapris as well, all would definitely would be well with the world. The woman being quiet and no bbq would do the trick.
Actually, it would take a lot more than that to make my day a good one. This has truly been (and no Ronnie, I am not being a drama queen) one of the longest days of my life.

As you can see from my previous post, the day started going badly when I woke up and while doing my hair overheard the Fox News team saying something about a "terror threat" and "no liquids".

From there, the day got longer and longer.

So let's go back to the beginning of one cumbersome event after another.

  • I get to Tara's house this morning with my shot materials only to realize I forgot the instruction sheet which says how much medication I need. We have to return and do the shot back at my house. Ugh!
  • I get to work at RLSF and decide to call Northwest Airlines to see what they suggest about my medications which not only need to be carried on but need to be refrigerated. I am on hold for about thirty minutes. I am told that if I have a valid prescription and my driver's license matches that prescription, I can bring my meds on the plane.
  • Additional issue: the meds need to be frozen with gel packs. I call my doctor. He will write a letter and fax it to me to help the cause.
  • The fax machine at RLSF is not working.
  • I have to go pick up the letter.
  • Before going to get the letter, I attempt to burn my files onto a CD so I can take the CD with me and work for RLSF from Florida. This seems like it will be faster than emailing myself all the necessary files.
  • The CD is taking forever to burn.
  • I opt to leave the CD and run and get the letter and come back for the CD.
  • I swing by the house and throw my leftover pasta in the microwave.
  • I forget the container is plastic and shouldn't go in the microwave.
  • Container melts.
  • Not thinking this is healthy to eat, I just eat a little off the top, get all my luggage and put our birds in the car (to drop off at the Rays) and head to the Charlton building to pick up my letter.
  • Unbeknownst to me, they are tearing up the entire front side of the Charlton building. I will have to go around the two blocks and instead go in through the side door.
  • There is no parking by the side door.
  • I park about three blocks away (nearly as close as my house is on the other side), crack the windows for our birds, and run to Charlton.
  • I return only to make a left onto another street that is now no longer open.
  • I turn again thinking I am on a one way street. I get into the left lane and realize it's a two-way street.
  • I am facing oncoming traffic.
  • The truck driver next to me gets all father-like and waves me into his lane so that I am safe.
  • I make a left turn. Street closed.
  • I almost start to cry.
  • I forgot to feed the fish and stop home to do that on my way back to RLSF to pick up my burnt CD.
  • I return to RLSF. My CD info was too big for one CD. My two WONDERFUL co-workers recognized the plight and were trying to help save me.
  • I waited about five more minutes and then finally left for Ebby's house.
  • The drama ends temporarily.

At Ebby's house I set the birds on the table and decided to give up control and just let her drive. I was a bundle of nerves.

  • I get to the airport and get up to the security, and they tell me I am going to have throw away my gel packs.
  • At first I am sad. I like these gel packs, but I figure that at least I get to keep the meds.
  • I tell them that's fine figuring I can find some ice somewhere inside the terminal.
  • I stand and wait as a group of TSA agents start inspecting my bag and talking. The head agent decides I am legit and decides to let me keep the gel packs.
  • I have since had to explain to about five more people what is in my little cooler bag.
  • No there is no water in my cooler bag. No there is no baby formula in my cooler bag.
  • Drama ends temporarily again.

In Minneapolis I sat down at Chili's and got a Caribbean chicken salad which was really good! I was then blessed with a middle row exit seat which I gladly took. I'll take being squished horizontally in order to stretch out my legs vertically. However, to make it even better, the people sitting on either side of me were traveling together and asked me if I would mind giving up my middle seat so they could sit together?

Heck no I don't mind! Exit row aisle. Nice.

(If that woman gets on the speaker again and tells me what I can't bring on board I will scream! Yes I know the baby will have to drink his bottle to prove what is in it.)

Hopefully the last drama of the day:

  • I got a bbq beef sandwich here in Memphis (thus the stain on my pants).
  • Hey, I told you I have been having to eat every 3 hours.
  • Now if I could just SLEEP every 3 hours everything would be great.
  • Did I tell you I didn't sleep last night?
  • Do you realize this is my third blogging post in one day?
  • Do I not have a life?

Okay, wait, drama is done. No more need for bullet points.

I will be leaving for Fort Walton Beach in a little under an hour and will get to see my babe. I cannot wait!

Did I tell you I am posting this blog in the airport in Memphis!?

(Oh man -- there's that woman on the speaker again! Hair gel, toothpaste ... bad, bad, bad.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH. I truly believe that this sounds like the longest day ever, even having been running around like a crazy woman myself all day at the hospital, stressed out b/c I was worried things wouldn't get done... Nothing compares to this. I hope the bbq was good :)
-Running in non-Memphis

Anonymous said...

WOW! Bless your heart!Hope you get a good night's sleep.You should be comatose by now:) love ya

Ebby Ray said...

Glad to hear that you made it through the airport. I was worried all the way home. Hope you have a good time on your trip and I will see you when you get back.