Monday, August 07, 2006

Some days are harder than others

I apologize for this post. I don't think it will be the most upbeat ending to your day (or beginning if you are reading this on Tuesday morning).

A day like today is a day that I wonder whether infertility treatments are what I should be doing.

I can't put my finger on it. I can't tell you the exact reason why today was a hard day. Often times it is a combination of things. Either way, no matter how hard I try, when I start taking all of these hormones and keeping track of medications and checking the calendar to see what I do next, everything starts to unravel. September 7th is now, less than a month away, and its as if my mind instantly becomes aware of it and decides to go crazy.

I find myself changing the channel when certain shows come on. Songs about children and pregnancies are instantly turned off. Days like today are days that running by a park or walking through the mall is too much to bear and I either leave crying or avoid going altogether. A pregnancy announcement hurts my feelings. (How crazy is that?!)

Why can't I go through this journey and start treatments without getting so emotional? Is it the hormones or is it just the excitement and fear of trying again? I don't sleep well. My appetite is screwy. I get easily frustrated. Days are more difficult. I am conscientiously aware now that I have been married eight years and still do not have children. Three weeks ago, this wasn't something I thought about fifty times a day.

I find myself measuring myself up to other women. Is she healthy enough to get pregnant? Is she old enough to get pregnant? Is she mature enough to get pregnant?

Who am I? Am I God? What right do I have to make these assumptions? There I go back to my "just-world" mentality -- that somehow, I don't deserve this journey and someone else does. These thoughts cause me to get angry at myself. More hormonal emotions.

I will be okay. I know that. No matter how this thing turns out, I will be okay. I do wish that if we weren't going to have biological children, I could have total peace with that. Sometimes I have that peace, but some days, like today, I can't find that peace.

Days like today, I remember what JB wrote on the blog after our last failed attempt. He wrote: "...One must weigh the chance of this eventually working against the emotional cost of going through the process. That is actually the hardest part -- we have every reason to believe that this will work eventually. But deciding to keep pursuing it after the emotional toll is the real battle."

When we are not in a treatment cycle I think to myself, I can do this. I can do this a hundred times. I can do this until I am forty. But when I am in a treatment cycle I think, I can't do this. I can't do this again. This is the last time. This is too emotional. Negative results hurt too much. Counting days is too much of a reminder.

For now I just continue to take my medications and continue to take one small step and one short day at a time. I can't see the big picture and so I can only trust that I am heading in the right direction and strong enough to handle whatever this journey brings us.

I would appreciate your prayers, love, and encouragement during the next four weeks. On days like today, I really need it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 40:29-31 (NIV):

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Blessings! I need this!

Anonymous said...

Amen to your verse! Try and think of these days, when they come, as your footprint days and just rest in His arms! We love you and send a big hug

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to send you a hug. Regardless of how you're feeling, you are strong and you can do this. You already have been. You deal with IF everyday, and although some days are harder (for no real reasons, they just are and it's OK to feel that way)you make it through. That shows strength.

I'll be praying for you and JB during this time.

Anonymous said...

Wendi, please go back and read what a wonderful, strong, faithful beleiver wrote on this blog on January 31 of this year. It ministered to my heart the day that I read it, and I pray that it will encourage you as well.

Anonymous said...

I understand your deep frustration and sense of despair. Life does not seem fair! We hear stories of careless teens or abusive parents becoming pregnant, while couples who love the Lord are sometimes left with empty arms.

You raise some good questions for which I do not have the adequate answers. Ultimately, the answers to your questions may need to wait until you can talk to Jesus face-to-face. Until then, we are called to live by faith, not sight (2 Corinthians 5:7). And frankly, God never promised that living by faith would be easy!

Though I cannot answer all of your questions, I would like to make a couple of observations:

First, your question reminds me of Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73. Asaph was a godly man who also fell into the trap of thinking that God was not treating him fairly. As Asaph saw it, God seemed to be showering His blessings on unbelievers, while Asaph barely received a sprinkle. Asaph wrote: "They [the wicked] have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from the burdens common to man" (vs. 4-5 NIV). As far as Asaph could tell, there was no point in being godly because God seemed to be blessing the ungodly more than him.

However, at the end of Psalm 73, Asaph came to realize that his thinking had been shortsighted and wrong. He saw that our life on earth was only the tip of the iceberg in terms of our existence. Sure, unbelievers may have things to pretty well for them in this life, including the opportunity to have babies, but unless they repent and bow their knees, their final destiny is not a pretty picture. As Asaph put it, "Then I understood their final destiny...How suddenly they are destroyed" (vs. 19 NIV).

As for those who have maintained their walk with God, they have the most important blessing: They know that in the midst of all their troubles, God has remained with them, and they will be in the joy of God's presence forever. As Asaph declared:

Yet, I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me by your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. (vs. 23-24).

Second, it is easy for Christians to fall into the trap of thinking that somehow God owes us something because we have been so good. He owes us nothing! Each of us has sinned and has fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:16). Any gift we receive from God, including children, is a gift of grace, totally unearned and undeserved. And if God -- for reasons known only to His divine and sovereign will -- chooses to give gifts to people who appear more sinful than we are, who are we to question him? The apostle Paul puts it bluntly when he asks: "But who are you O man to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'"

Third, it is true that all of the well-known infertile couples in the Bible (Abraham and Sarah, Jacob and Rachel, Hannah and Elkanah, and Zechariah and Elizabeth) eventually were able to have children. But it is also true that God does not grant every prayerful desire (see 2 Corinthians 12:8-9). The Father did not, could not, even grant the request of His own Son to have the awful cup of Calvary taken from Him (Mt. 26:39).

God never promises that He will reward the faithful with an easy road through life. If you doubt that, read what happened to some of the most faithful saints in the Bible (Hebrews 11: 35-40). What God promises us is that He will eventually, either in this life or in the life to come, turn our adversity into our profit.


go back to inspirations from the Bible

©2006 Bethany Christian Services

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Thank you all so much! I agree so much with these comments ... it's just on hard days, I have trouble remembering.

I am going back to read January 31. Woah. I have no idea what that is.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh my. Who found THAT!? I posted on January 31st. I have to remember those words. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Remember...

When obstacles and trials seem
Like prison walls to be
I do the little I can do
And leave the rest to Thee
And when there seems to chance, no change,
From grief can set me free,
Hope finds its strength in helplessness,
And calmly waits for the
-S. Chadwick

Faith...
When you have come to the edge
of all the light you know
And are about to step off
Into the darkness of the unknown,
Faith is knowing that
one of two things will happen:
There will be something solid to stand on
or you will be taught how to fly
-Patrick Overter

My thoughts are with you, Wendi. Stay strong. Love, Tara

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tara I love these. I got to do a whole blog on these!