Friday, August 25, 2006

In the dark

As we were leaving Bible Study last night, it started pouring rain. Not a light rain mind you. A really heavy rain. Lesley the fearless wanted to run home through it, however, I talked her out of it, and we took a ride home from Brandon and Kristen.

The rain did not let up, and about an hour later, Kelsey wandered in, soaked from head-to-toe. After Bible Study, she had gone to the public library to work on her law school applications only to be ushered to a "tornado-friendly" room. I told her she should have called. I could have easily picked her up especially as we have underground parking. But Kelsey (also the fearless) decided to run home through it. Wearing jeans proved to be a poor decision as we all know how heavy jeans get when wet.

I was really glad Kelsey came home when she did. Not ten minutes after she got home, the lightning picked up, and the electricity went out and stayed out. We spent the evening talking in the living room surrounded by every candle I could find.

The bad thing about the electricity going out and staying out is that you have no idea which items were on when it happened. Sure enough, a few hours later (I have no idea what time as every clock was blinking), the electricity came back on and so did the TV, three lights in the living room etc. So I wandered off to shut everything off. I also turned on my fan and the air conditioning in my room. A few minutes later everything went off again, but by the time I got up this morning, the electricity was back on for good. At least I hope it is for good.

Rumor has it that lightning hit right behind the church next to our house. Hey, maybe it knocked out the eight o'clock Sunday bells! Just kidding. The news is also showing that there were many tornadoes, fifty mile an hour winds, and a lot of power outages.

I just spoke with JB. His parents are on the way to visit him at Eglin. I wish I could see them! He also interviewed yesterday for a residency spot and said it went very well, and they seemed genuinely interested in him coming to Eglin. Are we going to go there?! I think so. Maybe. I don't know. Who knows. I really just can't think much about it right now. Too much to think about.

Off to take my shot and to work. I can happily announce I only took my own medicine yesterday. It was a successful day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a bad storm here Thurs PM. The winds were so strong I had the kids go in our "center of the house" bathroom. I watched while the wind picked up our glass patio table/umbrella (it was closed), and threw it across the yard. It shattered. Thank God it did not blow into the patio door or our camper outside. Quite frightening. Aunt L