Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Huge boo-boo

Last night I made a huge mistake -- a huge mistake that I only realized this morning.

Instead of taking my new estrace medicine, I took one of my Kelsey's medications!

I still can't believe I did this. But her pills were sitting where my pills normally are and I picked them up and they were the same shape (a different color, but hey, who's looking), and I swallowed it (with water if you care for details). Then this morning I woke up feeling very funny and walked to the same place to take my morning dose and happened to look at the container. The name did NOT say Wendi K. The name began with a K and ended with a Y. My name does not start with a K or end with a Y. (I am a Wendi with an "i").

It was at this precise moment that I began to panic.

Majorly panic.

Not positive that I did accidentally take the wrong pill the night before, I decided the best thing to do was to count my estrace pills to assure that I had actually screwed up. How hard could that be?

The bad news? My estrace bottle had 200 pills in it! Two hundred itsy-bitsy tiny little pills. About fifteen minutes later I was done counting. Sure enough, I counted 198! I had taken Kelsey's pill.

This sent me into a mad scramble. I was walking around the kitchen ... pacing around the kitchen ... yelling at myself. How could I have been so careless? How could I have made such a mistake? JB leaves me alone for two weeks, and I screw up the third day! I was so frustrated and mad at myself.

I couldn't get ahold of JB. Kelsey was asleep. And the nurseline wasn't open until 8 a.m. I was there, trapped with myself!

I desperately tried to call JB. I desperately tried to call JB about ten times. No answer. He was already at work.

I had two major questions. Did taking Kelsey's medication counteract with my own medications? Did not taking my own medication screw up this cycle? Oh my! I was sweating. I had been about to do my devotions but the morning's reading was in Job. I just could not read Job in a moment like this. Or could I?

I went to work, tried to start working, and then at 8:02 called the nurse and left a message. Mary called me back at 8:15. "I saw you called at 8:02 and figured you were desperate," she said. "What'd you do?"

"I took my roommate's medications!"

Mary started laughing!

I was not laughing. "Mary," I said, "Tell me that everything is okay."

She laughed again, "Well your cycle is fine," she said. "Now I just have to check on interactions."

She spent some time talking with me, asking me how I was feeling, and helped me adjust my estrace medication so that I still took the right amount. Everything is fine. We are still scheduled for September 7th, but I feel very stupid and very careless. Ugh!

I am about to make my medication again now. I am carefully reading labels and have everything set out perfectly. I was asking everyone to pray for September 7th, but instead, please pray that I successfully get to September 7th without JB to help me. I did successfully give myself my shot this morning which I was proud of, but I have a lot of things to remember.

Stupid boo-boo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOUR Kelsey? I thought Kelsey was MY Kelsey. (see paragraph 1).

Anonymous said...

Wendi, I know we are close and that you aspire to be like me, but I must recommend against you taking my meds!!!!! I mean, I'm no doctor or anything but...

Anonymous said...

By the way, I SO wish you would have woken me up for that...I would have been the most hilarious start to a morning in quite some time!