Sunday, May 08, 2022

Rotational Grazing (by JB)


I love these pictures JB took from the air. I feel that they really "show" what our land looks like and how we rotationally graze our animals. 

Here’s another look at our rotational grazing method.
I go out on a riding mower about once a month, and I “mow paddocks”. I’m just cutting strips to place our temporary electric fencing.

(I know some of my older farming neighbors just roll their eyes… “there goes that crazy doctor mowing in the field again.”)
If it’s an area with lots of paddocks, like this section in the photo, I’ll take some drone shots and overlay the grazing plan. This ensures that we are all on the same page for paddock set up and sheep movement even when I’m working off the farm.
The negative of this system is that it takes time to plan and set up/take down.
The benefit of this system is that it’s temporary, paddocks are adjustable with every move, and it only requires a lawn mower and mobile electric line/step in posts. It’s way cheaper and flexible than permanent fencing.

Paddocks are different every pass through an area.
Our goal is 3-5 days per paddock. So this section has just over a month of grazing.


 

No comments: