Saturday, September 23, 2017

We Bought a Farm: Truck Etiquette

There are so many things to learn when one moves from the city to the country -- and especially when one joins the rural ranks. Even more if you become a farmer.

But let's start small shall we? Our family has our old mini-van. But we also have a pick-up truck, and JB and I decide who drives what depending on what is going on around the farm. He prefers to take the truck to work. But if we need it on the farm, he takes the mini-van, and the truck stays with me.

I never dreamed of driving a pick-up truck -- especially not a Ford F-250 that seats six. This thing is HUGE. I do not drive it when I have to park it downtown. And even at the grocery store, it truly needs two spots.

But all this truck driving has taught me a thing or two.

I've realized that once I am off the town roads and on any country road, a certain sort of camaraderie among trucks and their drivers takes over.

Okay so let's back up a bit. What do I mean by a country road? Well, it can be any two-lane road that requires you to wait until a dotted yellow line to pass.

It can also be a road that is smaller. Check out this road leading up to our house pictured at right. This is a road for traffic going in both directions. But as you can see, there is only room for one car at a time.

When my family visits from out-of-town, I can visibly observe them gripping the sides of the door as they ride as my passenger. They are looking for their brake on their side of the vehicle. The road is so small. How can cars be going in opposite directions?

Well, you go very carefully first of all. And whoever can pull over onto a shoulder first, does. If you can't, then one car will actually stop and choose to back up until they can find a shoulder. This is sort of done with a lot of hand and head movements as each party tries to decide the best way to keep going in the direction you want to travel in.

You also learn your roads. You learn where you can see a vehicle traveling the other way and where you can't. And you slow down when you can't.

Okay, but seriously. Back to trucks. I have realized that if I am riding in my truck, and I pass another truck, we are supposed to wave our hand. Now pay attention because this part is important. The wave is not to be exuberant. And it isn't girly either. It is subtle and usually involves keeping part of our hand on the steering wheel as you life parts of your fingers.

If I am in my mini-van, no one EVER waves at me. And if I am in my truck, I do not wave at people not also in a truck. If I do, they will be very confused and look at me like they have no idea why I would acknowledge their less-than-a-truck-vehicle.

I should extend this to farm vehicles. They are included in the truck category. Any farm vehicle is also supposed to be waved at. They will then wave back. But if you try to wave at them from your mini-van, they won't be looking for it and will most likely not wave back.

And there you have it.

Now you are ready to be a farmer with me!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true! Thanks for the great insights into something many of us farmers and rural pick-up driving folks take for granted.