Friday, September 29, 2017

We Bought a Farm: Shooting my first gun

Yesterday I shot a gun for the first time. JB has already started training the three older kids on guns. But I have never carved out a time that I can be out there with him and no children and actually learn how to shoot a gun.

This may come as a surprise to some of you. Some of you who are more rural may be shocked that I have never shot a gun. Remember: I did not grow up here. In South Florida, I did not know very many "good guys" that owned a gun.

This may come as a surprise to a different group of you. Those of you who haven't been raised around guns may be shocked that I did shoot a gun.

I didn't take a picture because personally, I don't really feel like celebrating shooting a gun. It isn't that sort of experience for me.

But the truth is, on a farm, owning a gun is nearly mandatory. I have to be able to handle a predator. I have to be able to handle an animal that gets out of control. Or I have to be able to quickly put an animal out of its misery.

Anyways, how did it feel? I wouldn't say it was fun. I was looking at it as a job I needed to master. And so I will practice. I will learn how to protect our farm. My kids are also going to be taught how to handle guns as well. We will never hunt just for sport. However, we will hunt for meat. 

They are always stored safely here on our farm FYI. We always have all our guns locked up.

I really am not interested in a gun debate with any of you. I totally respect individuals who don't believe that guns are good to own. I also think that is my constitutional right to bear arms. I also think that as I document my life here on the farm, I need to include this. My life is very different from what it was. And I'm slowly embracing it.