Monday, March 07, 2011

I won!!!

Well, to those of you who know me personally, this may come as the biggest surprise this blog has ever seen.

Okay, so maybe not. Let's be real. This blog has seen some big surprises. But still. This is big.

I won Incirlik's Biggest Saver Contest. This is surprising because:
  • Prior to moving here, I never did our family's grocery shopping. The reason I do it now is because there really is like NO choices in the Commissary here so JB doesn't enjoy the shopping "experience" like he did back home. And, I use coupons and he really doesn't so he agrees I need to go.
  • I am one of the LEAST domestic people you have ever met. I don't cook. I don't do "girly" things. I don't do fancy-shmancy decorating or make my own crafts or anything like that. I really stick to the basics. Winning a contest associated with the household is way beyond me.
Back to the contest ... apparently theBase does this every February in a way of highlighting the military's desire to help families save money. You go shopping in February. You use coupons. You save your receipts. Then you turn them in. Then they say who saved the most. I had no thought that I might win. I just thought I would participate because ... why the heck not?

I actually have NO idea how much I saved. I didn't even add it up. I think I'll guess that it was about $130. Let's see how right I am when they write this up on the website. I just put my receipts in an envelope and turned them in and someone emailed me and told me I won. I don't know what I won. I just know I have to show up and get my picture taken. I'll update you all again when I know what I won and how bad my picture was!

On the subject of coupons though, a few notes:
  • THANK YOU! to those of you who have mailed us expired coupons. Just so you know, I look through your coupons, take the ones I want to use, and put the rest in one of the boxes in the Commissary for someone else to sift through. We are allowed to use coupons up to 6 months after expiration so your loss is our gain! If you email me at: flakymn@hotmail.com I will send you my address so you can send me coupons. We can take all coupons except specific store coupons (i.e., you can't send me a coupon for Target or Publix.)
  • I would LOVE if, when you are going to send me coupons, you could take a moment to print a $1 off milk coupon at this website. This milk is expensive here ($4 for a half gallon) so these coupons would be most appreciative.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be happy to print off the milk coupon, but, it asks for some info - like what store I'm going to use it at. Who sells it?
Linda

Joy Z said...

Way to go!!! Coupons are one of my passions. =) I even teach classes sometimes.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

You could put

Incirlik AF Base
Commissary
Military Grocery Store

denise said...

thanks for posting what to put for the coupons, that is what I was going to ask!

Jessica said...

you won!!!! That is so awesome. :)