Sunday, October 31, 2010

So True

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I am taking a break from Rosetta Stone in my Turkish lessons and instead using a program called "Mango." Mango looks more at the immediate need for language learning instead of the bigger picture like Rosetta Stone. It isn't so important to me that I can say what is under the table. What I really need to be able to do is ask where I can find the bathroom.

Anyways, Mango intersperses cultural lessons throughout your learning. One of the things I learned during yesterday's lesson was the following: "Turkish people will do anything to help you. It isn't unheard of for a Turkish person to walk you where you need to go. So, no fears about getting lost."

Wow. How true this is. Since we have been in Turkey, I have had numerous opportunities to express my confusion about how to find what I was looking for. I'm always amazed when a person will stop what they are doing and leave their place of work to walk me to the next place that I need to go to! One time it happened with John. Another time with Joan and my Mom.

How nice is that?!

I continue to be, quite literally, blown away, by the kindness of these people. Americans pale greatly in comparison! If you think the Middle East is out to get us and that all of Muslims hate Americans, you are solely mistaken. I continue to be reminded how important it is that we not let a small sect of people define an entire population.

No comments: