Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Grandma Di guest post


Wendi had told me earlier that I should do a grandma blog but not to stress about it. My heart is so full, it's hard to put all my feelings in writing.

I've watched Wendi and JB handle their challenges with such pride and awe. Wen was real with her pain but never got bitter.We didn't hear as much from John but I know he was a huge part in keeping Wendi centered and balanced. Now having spent a week with them and watching them again come together in figuring things out has been so awesome to watch. They are a team -- a united front. I am proud of the people they have become.

Wendi used to say it bothered her that George and I might not be grandparents. To be honest, it didn't seem like a huge deal to me. I hated to see the pain and struggles they were going thru but it didn't make them seem less because they didn't have kids. I have enjoyed being a friend with my daughter. What a cool woman she has become. (I love JB too. He is so patient with Wendi and her family and of course we love his cooking among other things.)

When this little dude named Isaac came into our arms, everything changed. I didn't know you could love a little creature so much. I remember holding Wendi when she was a baby and didn't think I could ever love another child so much and then I had Keith and loved him so much. I didn't realize I had that many emotions all wrapped up inside. To see the picture of little Isaac in George's arms and to see the love in George's eyes and to hear him pray over and "bless" Isaac is something will always hold a special place in my heart.

To hold this little boy and have him look in my eyes when I fed him a bottle is indescribable. To pick him up after he was crying hard after a diaper change and to feel him calm and snuggle into me was so special. To look at him and sing "You are so beautiful to me" (when no one else was around) and have him study my face and even smile (and know it wasn't gas or laughing at my singing) was such a neat memory.

I love my sleep but so enjoyed the couple of nights I got to have the night feeding. It was no problem getting up and spending time with my little dude. I never wanted to put him down.

George put it so cute "Being a grandpa is so cool. Nobody expects you to do anything but everything you do is a perk."

I think this grandparent stuff is going to be great. I had no clue! I hate that we live so far but am thankful for the fact we do live closer than we did before. I know our times together will be sweet. I think Grandpa Coach and little dude are going to be great buds, and I'm looking forward to going on walks, to sitting and cuddling and reading and playing with Isaac whenever possible. We will make the most of our times together.

I am so grateful for the group of friends John and Wendi have in their life. What awesome people! How cool to have that kind of support. It makes leaving just a little bit easier. They are truly blessed.

Wendi kept saying how much I helped them while I was there, but I felt like I got the better end of the deal. On top of everything else I got to share in some awesome meals from their friends and I got Indian dinners cooked by JB two nights and went out for Thai another . . . how much more could I ask??? I didn't have to cook!!!!

Thank you for letting me share in this first week of Isaac's life and to be able to share in your transition into parenthood. You guys are fabulous. I am so proud! I am overwhelmed with gratefulness and love. I am a grandma!! How awesome is that!? I love my life!!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! It's so cool to hear about all of this from the "grandma's perspective". Thank you for sharing!

It was sooo nice to get to meet you, and thank for all of the "Keenan entertaining" you did while I was hogging the baby! =0)

TAV said...

yes, thanks, Ladi Di for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great picture and really sweet blog! I'm glad you had such a special visit bonding with Isaac. I know it's only the beginning of a wonderful relationship that will just get better and better-love overflows!
And I can't wait to get up there and hold him myself:) I totally agree with Coach-being a grandparent is cool:)
love ya, Di
Mary aka"grandma k"

Anonymous said...

Beautiful... I have tears in my eyes.
Linda

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Beautifully, wonderfully and perfectly put, Grandma Di :) It made my eyes fill with tears. I know how full your heart is...how full it's always been with the love for your children and for good ol' Coach...and having a grandson just adds to that fullness of life. Thank you for sharing your heart...I know you've been there all through this journey...as supportive as a best friend and mom could be to Wen and John...feeling their every joy and sorrow. And now basking in the complete and utter joy of sweet Isaac John!

I look forward to years and years of watching you and Coach as grandparents...it's a neat thing for us young-ens to watch our parents become old softies in the presence of grandkids :)

Blessings upon blessings to you and the whole H & K family. You guys are all inspiring and we love you! Hugs, Kel :)

Anonymous said...

I can so understand all those feeling after spending most of the first week with Joia and Philip when Keenan was born. It is a different feeling than any other... isn't it fun being a grandma??? Enjoy it to the full.

What a sweet tribute to add to the other memories of Isaac's arrival.

yuan family said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing from your perspective. My husband sometimes says he just wishes he could skip to being a grandpa!

Anonymous said...

Precious thoughts! Saw this and thought it was so cute:

What is a Grandmother?
A Letter from a Third-Grader

A grandmother is a lady who has no children of her own. She likes other people's little girls and
boys. A grandfather is a man grandmother. He goes for walks with the boys, and they talk about fishing and stuff like that.

Grandmothers don't have to do anything except to be there. They're so old that they shouldn't play hard or run. It is enough if they drive us to the market where the pretend horse is, and have lots of dimes ready. Or if they take us for walks, they should slow down past things like pretty leaves and caterpillars. They should never say "hurry up."

Usually, grandmothers are fat, but not too fat to tie your shoes. They wear glasses and funny
underwear. They can take their teeth and gums off.

Grandmothers don't have to be smart, only answer questions like, "Why isn't God married?" and, "How come dogs chase cats?"

Grandmothers don't talk baby talk like visitors do, because it is hard to understand. When they read to us, they don't skip or mind if it is the same story over again.

Everybody should try to have a grandmother, especially if they don't have a television,
because they are the only grown-ups who have time.
Source Unknown

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for the kind words.
Happy Birthday to Wendi today! I know this is going to be a special day for you! Loveyou! Mom H.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy day, Wen!
love ya!
mom k