Friday, September 01, 2006

The Desire to Conceive

It's hard to believe how long we have been on this infertility journey.

Actually, I do not know what is harder to believe. How long we have been on this journey or how quickly the time has gone by?

Either way, we have now passed the three year mark. I guess what they say is true: time flies when you are having fun, huh?

Another thing I cannot believe: the piece I wrote for Rochester Women on infertility is now in black and white.

My loyal blog readers will remember me asking you for help on a few of the sidebars a few weeks ago. Well, some of you will find your words in print!

It seems like ages ago, and actually it was over a year, when I brought up the idea of writing a piece on infertility to my editor, Ellie. Originally, it was slated for the July/August issue, but ultimately was bumped back. This was a blessing in disguise as the original due date was a week after our failed IVF. I was having serious problems finishing the piece due to my emotional state. Ellie didn't know that, but her email asking if it could be pushed back to September/October was such an answer to prayer. I could have the time I needed to heal from my IVF, gather my thoughts, and begin again.

So today I went to the release party and picked up a bundle of the magazine. Sure enough, the story is there. My name is there. I even admitted that I was infertile in my byline -- something that both JB and I went back-and-forth on for quite some time. The story itself chronicles the life of a woman I met on Hannah's Prayer, Bethany, and her twin boys, conceived through embryo adoption. Here we were writing on a national discussion board, and we actually only lived a half hour from each other.

You can view the table of contents to the issue by clicking on the Rochester Women link in my side bar. However, the article is not available online. Therefore, if you would like a copy, I would be glad to either hand you one (if you live close by), or mail you one (for, yes, you got it, those of you who live far away.) Just post a comment or send me an email, and I will get one to you. I ask that you read it and then share it with people in your life either going through infertility or supporting someone who is as the piece includes a lot of tips that my faithful blog readers helped me gather!

So, anyways, I just wanted to share, as I am very excited and very nervous about my first "public" piece on infertility.

3 comments:

Amy T. S. said...

Ooh - neato speedo. I want to see it! Can you send it? If you go to my blog you can email me and I can send you my address.

Anonymous said...

Bethany here. Yep, the same one in the article. Wendi, you did such a great job with it! I was also pleasantly surprised to see your byline. My husband brought home a copy which we eagerly read. First me and then him. And then I read it a few more times having a hard time believing that my story was in print. Thank you so much for doing this story, especially since it wasn't always an easy thing to do.

I'm continuing to pray for you, JB and your sticky babies.

yuan family said...

Congratulations Wendi! That is exciting. I will have to pick up a copy and read it!