Friday, August 12, 2005

One of our Birdies Died


Today after work, JB and I talked for a few minutes and then he ran out to the pet shop to get some nesting materials for Chaucer (our female bird) and Twainey (male bird). While he was gone, I was cleaning up in the office and noticed Twainey was acting funny. I walked over to the cage and Chaucer was dead!!!! We have had Chaucer for over 5 years. She was our first bird and then we got Twainey to keep her company.

We aren't sure why she died. JB put a nesting box in their cage about a week ago, and they both started acting strange when this happened. Our best guess is, Chaucer refused to leave the nesting box in order to protect her nest which is a very usual thing for female birds to do. However, Twainey didn't help get her food and she became very weak. At this point, either Twainey attacked her or she simply was too sick and died.

I have never had a pet before so I have never had one die. It's not like a dog or anything but both JB and I are pretty sad. The birds were a lot of fun for us. Chaucer hated my guts but she was fun to watch and listen to as she talked a lot for a lovebird saying "Gimme kiss" and "step up". It stinks!

I am attaching a few pictures of the birds. Chaucer is the bird on the left in the two pictures of them on the perch. In the picture where JB is holding them, Chaucer is on the right. I think that when pets die, it really stinks. I also am sad I won't hear my mom call her "Chowser" anymore. Oh well.

We aren't sure if we will get another bird. Lovebirds need a pair or they get ill and will die, but they can be a pair with a member of the family as Chaucer was with JB. Male birds are a lot nicer so we may just keep Twainey, may get him a female partner, or you can even get them a male as they just need a buddy. Oh well. Sad news.

No comments: