Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I am not a diabetic!

Oh my! I realized one of my pet peeves today -- having my time wasted. I have realized that this makes me furious.

I have been dealing with an infection that I can't get rid of. So I called Mayo today. I was told that I could receive the antibiotic for this infection just from my call. So I called. The nurse checked my record, asked me a few questions, and then told me that I didn't meet the criteria. Huh? What criteria? She didn't tell me which criteria I didn't meet. She just said, "You don't meet the criteria."

Okay, so now I have to physically go see my family practitioner. This takes 2 hours out of my workday. But I need to do it so I do. And after my doctor sits down, he looks at my complaints and says, "I don't understand why they just didn't fill this over the phone!" Huh? I tell him that the nurse said I didn't fit the criteria. He leaves to go to talk to the nurse. He comes back. "Well, you are on Metformin." Yes, I am. "Well, she thought you were a diabetic." Aaaaaaahhhh!!! I want to scream.

Now I understand that in 99.9999% of cases, Metformin is prescribed for diabetes. I understand that I am a rare specimen! However, she never asked me if I was a diabetic. I would have told her I wasn't a diabetic. Aaaaaaaahhhh!!! He says in the future to make sure I tell people that I am using Metformin for non-diabetic reasons. Diabetics don't fit the criteria.

So he filled the prescription. A prescription that could have been filled over the phone if I wasn't a supposed diabetic. Yikes! Now this doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, and it is for that reason that I have realized that one of my pet-peeves is having my time wasted.

That started me thinking about pet-peeves. What other peeves do I have? Well, here they are in no particular order.

1. Having my time wasted: see above!

2. Hotel sheets not having fitted sheets OR fitted mattress pads: This is a recent development. It saves time and space, and only requires one type of sheets. But I often wonder, am I the only person who wiggles around when they sleep (excessively my husband would add)? I mean, in the morning, I wake up, and the mattress pad is on one side, the bottom sheet on the other, and I am laying on the plain mattress. YUCK!

3. Getting home before I find out that my food order was incorrect: This happened once with my double chocolate and double oreo cookie chocolate blast from Sonic that I used to get JUST once a month when we lived right behind Sonic in Kentucky. I got all the way home only to discover it was reeses peanut butter instead of oreo! The horror! Sarah and Josh were forced to share in this with me. It was very depressing.

4. Being put on hold when there isn't any music or anything else: (am I on hold or did I get cut off?)

5. People who drive in the LEFT hand (FAST hand) lane on the highway: Oh man, this one really "irks" me. After I finally get by them, I pull a "George" and as I drive by I give them a look!

6. People who lick their fingers while serving cake or ice cream or any other food for that matter. I usually have to pass altogether because it just grosses me out. (Okay, yes, as most of you know I am a 'slight' germ-a-phobe, but I am working to improve this everyday. Today I left the public bathroom without using papertowels to hold open the door.)

7. Poor Grammar: Now, not all poor grammar mind you but a few chief irritators which go back into my teaching days. These include saying "suit" when you are talking about a bedroom "suite", mixing up the your/you're words, mixing up the "there/their/they're" words, writing "cause" when you mean "because", and saying "we was" or "she were" or any combination of the sort. Also, anything resembling Kentucky ignorance is difficult for me to stomach including my all-time classic student who wrote "you's" and then told me this mean "used to." Oh my!

8. Minnesotans who claim every winter I've experienced has been mild: Forget the fact that Rochester received the most snow EVER in a 24 hour period this past year, I still have no idea what a real winter is. All winters since I have arrived (never mind when that was) have been so mild and no slow was as thick or white or cold as the one before the year I got here (never mind when that was.) I will also add to this anyone saying "out and about" -- PLEASE don't use that phrase. It reminds me where I live.

9. People who sign things from their pets, give presents to their pets, or expect me to remember their pets birthdays: Now, please don't be offended because I know there are some of you who are reading this who fit into this category. I still love you, and I am sure if you made a top 10 list, I would fit into it somewhere as well. But I think this dumb -- I really do, and it's now time that you just knew it.

Well, that's all I got today. I am watching Karuna every Tuesday night now! I am excited about this ... last year it was every Thursday but that need was eliminated so now I have my Tuesday nites back. JB is currently at our friend Lisa Lightly's house who is a professional massage therapist. Afterwards, the three of us (JB, Karuna, and I) are going upstairs for dinner at Sam's house to celebrate Ajit moving out!

No comments: