Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Hermitage

My friend Tara is visiting us! I haven't seen Tara since before I left for Turkey. She was part of our "Mayo lifeline" during medical school and also made the trip to Nigeria with us -- she will always hold a special place in my heart. I have never met her husband Kelvin, and today, we decided to take a homeschool field trip day to "The Hermitage" -- Andrew Jackson's home in Nashville, TN.

Learning about the 7th President of the United States. Isaac has a very keen interest in the Presidents of the U.S.A. He has many facts stored in his little brain, and so it was especially great to get to take him here.

With Tara (expecting her first baby in December)

They had these little audio devices that you can listen to throughout the tour of the grounds. What was so cool was that they had a "kids narration." The boys LOVED finding a number and typing it in and listening to Andrew Jackson's bird "Polly" narrate for them.

Tara listening to her tour.

The majority of the view was outside -- and it was a beautiful, crisp fall day for us to enjoy!

Andrew Jackson's home. I started to take the tour and then realized that my four little ones had no interest and I just didn't want to deal with it. They were much happier running around in the grass.

His tomb.

One of the slave cabins.

I've never seen cotton up close! How incredibly interesting.

How amazing is God to make this plant.

I loved showing the boys this.

Abigail's favorite! Ponies!

Tara with cotton.

No comments: